Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: erratic red eye removal

Cheers for following this up Hamish. A truley strange bug. Thanks for the update.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default red eye removal - pick color - HOWTO?

Interesting and helpfull thread indeed, thanks!

One question though:
    I'm absolutely totally inexperienced with red-eye removal, found a tutorial from Gary dating from back 2004.

As it seems red-eye tool creates a greyish zone.
    Is - and how - it possible to modify the color of this 'grey zone' using the color picker?

If any pointer available to more recent tutorial / info about this matter, welcome!

Thanks for helping out!

Erwin
    Erwin Panen

To be honest, I've stopped using the new red-eye-remover on the tool-bar of XXP5 as I don't think it is as useable as the earlier version. The earlier version is still available in V.5 by setting your bitmap editor to XPE. As Seagul mentioned, all the new one does is to create a circle with a saturation transparency. This is useful if you don't want a perfect circle because you can edit the shape. For example it's ideal if you need to remove red-eye from an iris which is partially obscured by an eye lid. Similarly if you want to edit the feathering you can do that now too. Most of the time however I just want to quickly touch up a photo, so I've reverted to using XPE. It's not non-destructive like the new one but that's not important to me 99% of the time.

The new red eye tool should however behave just as any shape. I'm at work just now so I can't verify this. If you want to change the outline colour then just use the colour picker to change the outline colour rather than the fill.

The main disadvantage I found with the new tool is that as it creates a shape within a clipview so you need to be very careful when applying anything else to the photo, like a border for example. Unless you deselect the red-eye-removal-circle the border is also applied to this. In my case it was this that created the strange grey border that initiated this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
    You know you can always bypass the redeye tool in this version.

In older version the red eye tool only affected the colour red but in the newest version it affects all colours. All your doing in version 5 is drawing a black circle with saturation transparency, which is simply a way of making a colour photo into a black and white photo.

On your photo, try creating a big black square over part or all of it and apply the saturation transparency and you will see and understand better what is happening.........frank
    Cheers for that Frank, I wasn't aware of that! It also works fine darkening a white cloud, handy for creating various tinges

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	River 2.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	67575