Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default extracting parts from photo image

Hi I'm sure this is simple but it eludes me completely.
    I have no problem with drawing round a part of a photographic image using the shape editor and then selecting and using the arrange-combine and intersect commands to remove, lets say, a person from a photo with a unwanted background.. But if ,for example, the person had their hand on their hip that means when you cut their outline out you are left with the original back ground still there between the body and the arm.
    If you then use the above technique to remove this remaining bit of background, you get the background left not the person.
    How do recover the person minus the background between the arm and body or, how do remove that background and keep the person?
    Alistair
    alistair d w barclay

Default Re: extracting parts from photo image

If you make your first selection around the outside of the body and intersect, you can repeat the procedure to remove the area from the gap between the body and the arm. But instead of intersecting, slice instead (Ctrl + 4).
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

You can do it serial or parallel. In this case, I drew the outline then to holes. The holes were grouped and subtracted from the outline. Then you have one object to remove the background. You could subtact in series to make the object as well.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OBJ.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	65930  

got it , thanks very much
    Alistair
    alistair d w barclay

You can also draw slicing lines, but need to be careful where the ends are pointing. You can slice off a little at a time, too.

Rich