Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default how do you hand trace a bitmap shape?

I'd like to get better and faster at hand tracing bitmap shapes. I've attached a bass clef symbol that's part of a current project. I need to turn it into a vector shape. (I don't want to use Bitmap Tracer.)

So here's my current method:
    1. I zoom in as close as the shape allows.
    2. Then I set the Shape Editor Tool to draw a 0.25 pt line in a contrasting color. No fill -- so I can see the bitmap below. (Also, lock the bitmap below.)
    3. Place points on any corners or inflection points with the Shape Editor Tool.
    4. Then use the same tool to bend each resulting arc to fit the bitmap below.
    5. When the shape is right, I can change fill it or change the line color.

For most shapes, this system works well. But for continuous curves like this bass clef, I'm uncertain where the right points are. I end up with too few or too many, and the bending gets out of whack and suddenly I'm in trial and error mode and wasting a lot of time.

I'd like more clarity on where to place the points. I'm wondering if there's a pro or two who would be willing to share where they would place the points on this bass clef. And how do you decide?

Many thanks,
    Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tracing_talkgraphics.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	65875  
    http://www.davelash.com
    Strategy | Innovation | Facilitation

Default Re: how do you hand trace a bitmap shape?

Hi Dave, I expect each reply you get will be a bit different, but here's the way I did it.
    The reason for placing each node depends on the individual shape. Taking the point one up from the bottom left as my starting point, I placed the next node at the point where the curve will change direction and keep doing this. try not to place the following nodes more than a quadrant of a circle apart, and it makes it easier to bend the lines. Counting the nodes from my starting point, the fourth node is placed where the path changes direction sharply. Other than that, I set my curves and lines on the info bar as highlighted in my second attachment.
    Saludos,
    Bob.

Name:	clef.png 
Views:	154 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	65881   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	curves and lines.png 
Views:	162 
Size:	3.1 KB 
ID:	65885  

Last edited by iamtheblues; 17 September 2009 at 07:06 PM. Reason: addendum
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

I think Bob has shown you the easiest way to make it vector when it is as simple as your example. The point that I would make is why not use a musical notation font to get the example that you want without going through all the hassle of tracing. Just do a Google search of musical notation font and install it in your system.
    Design is thinking made visual.

I do it very similar to Bob but I try to place the nodes a bit more accurately to where the line changes direction and then Ctrl-drag the node to keep the node handles 0-180 or 090-270 degrees.

Name:	png.png 
Views:	157 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	65887  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Doesn't that constrain the 'drag' to 90 or 45 degree direction movement though Egg?

Sorry I should have said the bezier handles, not the node.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    try not to place the following nodes more than a quadrant of a circle apart
    Bob, this is great advice. I tried it and many of the problems I get into stem from not "knowing" this.

Egg, is there something you did to turn on all the curve (bezier) handles at once? Or did you create a mockup?

Thanks to all. This is just the info I was hoping for.

Dave

No, it's not possible to turn them all on at once. As you guessed Dave it was a mock-up of numerous screen grabs.
    Egg

Wink Re: how do you hand trace a bitmap shape?

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    No, it's not possible to turn them all on at once. As you guessed Dave it was a mock-up of numerous screen grabs.
    Watch out for these moderators! They're sneaky! ;-)

Thanks again!