Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Text extends off right margin

I have read as many posts on text handling in XX5 as I could find, and nothing appears to solve my problem. I have created a web page and all appears fine on 75% of the systems in our company (internal facing page, so I can determine that ratio). On the other 25%, the text extends off the right side of the page. I understand all the text rendering issues associated with individual systems, but shouldn't XX break a line appropriately?

I am attaching browser screenshots and the XAR file.
    First Image: Looks fine on my system.
    Second Image: Same file on affected system.
    Third Image: Created new text frame, inserted Lorem Ipsum to verify text didn't have some type of distortion.

Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mysystem.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	65925   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrap.JPG 
Views:	198 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	65926  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrapNew.JPG 
Views:	199 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	65927  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Text extends off right margin

I suspect the browser encoding and text view size differs on those 25% of machines.
    Check the browser settings on those PC's.
    Your .xar file looks fine here in IE8/Chrome/Opera/FF3 with default encoding and text view.

Default Re: Text extends off right margin

You are absolutely correct. These users all had their systems set to 120dpi instead of 96dpi. And of course I haven't been paying attention and left my font in pt instead of px. Unfortunately I discovered a couple of those users (presumably with bad eyesight) even had the IE\View\Text Size set to Largest. By specifying px instead of pt, I believe it will stop this capability, if memory serves? I guess it is the price we all have to pay to get more of what we think we designed onto someone's browser. I also vaguely remember back in my more studied font usage days that em allows for more adjustments in the browser, but I would be surprised if we could accomplish that in Xara, only having experienced that usage in hand coding CSS, etc.

Thanks for the pointer. It was driving me nuts... OK more nuts.