Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Gradient on outlines.

I use this all the time in photoshop/inkscape etc when designing stuff.

Very usefull.

Default Re: Gradient on outlines.

Then you have little need for another application to do the exact same thing?

However, I would have thought that it's very quickly done to convert the outline to a shape and apply a gradient.

Andover, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

Or simply eliminate the outline since there doesn't appear to be a need for it.
    -h
    ===============
    (a.k.a.) Bobby Harris

Converting an outline to a shape is a workaround and is not a good workflow.

You will then need to make changes to both shapes when you edit the original shape, for example cut a hole in it or something.

The gradient is also not associated with the shape unless you group them.

Then use the other applications Well that is not a good certainly not a good workflow...

Anyway I´m not going to argue with such answers...

That is basically saying, what do you need Xara for when there are other applications lite illustrator/corell etc that can do the same thing...

Quote Originally Posted by dogbertbh View Post
    Or simply eliminate the outline since there doesn't appear to be a need for it.
    In that case how does he put the gradient on the outline? Why do you say there is no need for it?

To put the gradient on the outline, why don't you just contour the shape, and put the gradient on the contour. That way it's still editable with the shape.
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 15 September 2009 at 12:23 PM.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Andover, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

I'm just not sure what having the gradient on the outline gets you.

Unless the gradient is a different color or going a different direction, wouldn't it just blend into the original image?

The contour works well, though. I've attached an example.

Is that what you're looking for?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gradients.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	66084  
    -h
    ===============
    (a.k.a.) Bobby Harris

I think this is a great idea and would be very useful. I've also had cause to do this and used the workaround but would much prefer the flexibility of being able to do it "properly".

Quote Originally Posted by spline View Post
    Converting an outline to a shape is a workaround and is not a good workflow.

You will then need to make changes to both shapes when you edit the original shape, for example cut a hole in it or something.

The gradient is also not associated with the shape unless you group them.
    Yes, and it's also less flexible when you want to adjust the size of the object but keep the line widths constant (and have a gradient).

Quote Originally Posted by spline View Post
    Then use the other applications Well that is not a good certainly not a good workflow...

Anyway I´m not going to argue with such answers...

That is basically saying, what do you need Xara for when there are other applications lite illustrator/corell etc that can do the same thing...
    Agreed. At least when it comes to vector features, I think it's pretty reasonable to want Xtreme to have as much flexibility as possible so we don't have to switch apps.