Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hello:

I have a huge (45MB) xara file I'm trying to print from Windows NT to AGFA Alantra printer. We're trying to print 4 film sheets but we can't get the orientation right.

Under Page Options
    Papersize: Custom
    Width 26.6 Height 18 in
    Landscape selected

Under Print Options
    Orientation Left Button
    Scale 100%
    Custom Fit 0.5in 26.6
    0.76in 18
    Printer Setup
    Postscript Custom Page
    AutoSelect
    Orientation Landscape

Printer Properties
    Edit Custom Page size:
    Width = 29.6
    Height= 20
    Long Edge First

The Alantra printer is for printing film and it feeds from a roll.

With these settings in place our image is bounded properly by the yellow box that indicates the printing area.

And yet when we print the image is cut off, and the printed orientation is at right angles to what we want. When we try to switch the settings in ther Custom page size for the postscript page size under Printer properties, the program crashes.

Anyone have any ideas?
    IP

Hello:

I have a huge (45MB) xara file I'm trying to print from Windows NT to AGFA Alantra printer. We're trying to print 4 film sheets but we can't get the orientation right.

Under Page Options
    Papersize: Custom
    Width 26.6 Height 18 in
    Landscape selected

Under Print Options
    Orientation Left Button
    Scale 100%
    Custom Fit 0.5in 26.6
    0.76in 18
    Printer Setup
    Postscript Custom Page
    AutoSelect
    Orientation Landscape

Printer Properties
    Edit Custom Page size:
    Width = 29.6
    Height= 20
    Long Edge First

The Alantra printer is for printing film and it feeds from a roll.

With these settings in place our image is bounded properly by the yellow box that indicates the printing area.

And yet when we print the image is cut off, and the printed orientation is at right angles to what we want. When we try to switch the settings in ther Custom page size for the postscript page size under Printer properties, the program crashes.

Anyone have any ideas?
    IP

Have you looked at Xara's Print Options? That might be the solution for the orientation issue. You can get to the Print Options dialog directly from the File menu or via the Options button in Xara's Print dialog.

The two orientation icons have to do with the way the image is printed rather than the orientation of the paper. For example, if my paper is in portrait orientation and I select the icon on the left, the image will print as I would expect it to in portrait orientation. If I choose the icon on the right, the image will print perpendicular to that. Depending on the size of the image and the other options I've set, the image may or may not fit on the page in the perpendicular orientation.

It took me a while to figure out these settings. Fortunately, I wasn't printing anything very large. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

As for the paper size and the Postscript driver -- that's out of my ken.
    IP

I think I'm just repeating what Allison has said, but I've done it now...

Xara's Page Options don't affect the orientation of the printed output, just how the 'paper' appears on screen. The Print Options dialog assumes that your printer is set to portrait in the standard Windows Printer Setup dialog. If both are set to landscape, Xara will print in portrait mode.

My advice is to leave Page Options at whatever is sensible, make sure the Printer Setup is set to portrait and depress the right (landscape) orientation button in Print Options > Print layout.

If the program still crashes, it could be caused by the size of the image. Try printing to a file and then send it to the printer. Alternatively, export to CorelXARA EPS and send that to the printer.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean
    IP

Uh,,,,,,,Let's keep talking here.
    I've been printing with Xara for very long time and if I EVER use the "Right" button, things go wrong. So I ALWAYS use the "Left" button; and, pagewise, the image is always in the right place with the correct orientation. I do have to pay attention to my "printer setup". SO,,,I have come to the conclusion that:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>LEFT IS RIGHT AND RIGHT IS WRONG[/list]
    But Sean's post runs counter to that way of thinking. Now I'm getting confused.
    Regards...........Tad,,,,,,,,, [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    IP

The alternative is to always use the left button in Xara and change the orientaion via the standard Windows printer dialog. The drawback, for me at least, is that it affects everything else I print. OTOH, as we say in the UK, horses for courses ;-)

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean
    IP