Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default White lines on print?

I keep getting white lines on the files that I print from XARA. I know that it's coming from the shadow on text because when I remove the shadow on the text, the problem goes away. I have to change my text and shadow to shapes in order to print my jobs and it is quite annoying!

I contacted Xara and they didn't have an answer and said they would research it. That was over a month ago. I work off 2 computers and have the same problem, only on text? Not everytime, but consistent.

Default Re: White lines on print?

Welcome to TG Forums,

Please attach the file (or an example) which shows this behavior when printed.

PS: I've moved this thread to the Xtreme forum
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 11 September 2009 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Moved thread out of Graphics Chat forum

It happens on quite a few programmes not only Xara when you have a raster effect on the top layer. Try using a layered approach and if you can have the raster image to the back, you then can make a bit mapped copy of it if the effect is further forward. It sometimes happens in InDesign and Serif's PP using transparencies and in the export the area gets rasterized or even before hand in ID as it shows you the problem areas. That why when you take a doc. that has a lot of transparency printers whistle and say, "well I don't know if we can do it, we're really busy", and it is only in the last two years that most of them can do it well.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Attached is an example of a file that shows the problem. It is driving me crazy because it doesn't happen every time?! But it is present when sent from 3 different computers and both Pro5 and Xtreme4. I can't keep changing text to objects because it is an incontinence with the amount of work we do. This must be happening to others?
    Attached Files Attached Files

He has a wife you know...incontinentia...

My profuse apologies - I couldn't resist.

You could try exporting to PDF (or even bitmap) and print from there. Something perhaps semi-constructive.
    Last edited by Sadler; 11 September 2009 at 08:00 PM.

Yes I have come across this before.
    First you appear to have used synthesized bold/italic variant fonts, I would correct this.
    I would also change your page units to mm rather than inches, set grid major and subdivision. The turn on grid snapping and make sure your objects are sized and position at whole numbers. No decimal points.
    Then printing should be fine.

southwestg, when you state you're getting these white lines, how are you printing them? I can't reproduce the problem you're experiencing ( thankfully ;-} ) Are you getting this problem on a desktop printer or in a pdf file? If it's a pdf file perhaps you could also attach this.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Not sure what you meant in your first couple lines?

I know how to get rid of the lines; I convert the text to an editable shape, the problemn doesn't happen on shapes. But the problem doesn't happen on all text as shown in the file I uploaded in my original post, so it is confusing.

On converting the file; converting anything from the vector drawing diminishes quality and is, like converting all text into shapes, annoying and a step that should not have to be taken.

One might think I am making a big deal out of a simple tweak now and then to text. But when considering I run a fairly large media center and have a huge work load, small problems add up and defeat the purpose of having XARA.

Anyone have the same issue?

Sending it straight from Xara to a production printer and on paper is where the problem shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    southwestg, when you state you're getting these white lines, how are you printing them? I can't reproduce the problem you're experiencing ( thankfully ;-} ) Are you getting this problem on a desktop printer or in a pdf file? If it's a pdf file perhaps you could also attach this.

I must appologize, my first response was to Sadler, so as not to create confusion.

I apprecate your feedback and Egg's as well!!

I will play with the info then report back.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Yes I have come across this before.
    First you appear to have used synthesized bold/italic variant fonts, I would correct this.
    I would also change your page units to mm rather than inches, set grid major and subdivision. The turn on grid snapping and make sure your objects are sized and position at whole numbers. No decimal points.
    Then printing should be fine.