Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Guides clone on all pages?

Hello to all,

I am new to Xara, so far I am enjoying it except the pdf export, having some issues... anyway, i am wondering how can i clone guides to all existing pages? Manuel mentions sometihng about guide layer gallery, however I can't find any option to this gallery or options to create one.

Can someone advice me how I could clone or replicate guides for other pages that are already present in the project?

Thank you in advance.
    bets regards,

Danas

Default Re: Guides clone on all pages?

Yes. Set up your page the way you want it with all the guides and other repeating objects in place, then open the Object Gallery, select the page title bar and press Duplicate as many times as needed.

You can also drag and duplicate guidelines by holding down the Ctrl key.

Unfortunately Gary, this approach isn't useful for copying the same guides to the same positions to each page when those pages already exist, as was asked by Danas.

I had a play but found no way

Just played around a bit.

1. Create lines where your page 1 guides are located.
    2. Cut the lines from page 1.
    3. Select Page 2's Guides layer and Paste in Place.
    4. Repeat step 3 for each page.

Although these are not the same as guides you pull from the Rulers they are guides in the sense they are on the guides layer and can be used for aligning objects on the page.

BTW I did this in Xtreme 5.1, however it works the same for Xtreme Pro and all versions back to Xara X which is the oldest version I have ( released in 2000).
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Steve - Point taken.

But if I am interpreting the intent of the question, it is how can I set up a master page, as one could do in CorelDRAW or Adobe InDesign.

So this becomes a matter of setting up one page as the master page, with all the necessary page elements and guidelines in place and then duplicate the page.

You could also use this to create multiple master pages and then duplicate these pages. You would need to reorder the pages as needed in the Object Gallery.

Absolutely, this is the best approach.

The way I do it is to put the guides on the first page, and then with the guide layer selected, create rectangles or lines over the guides (snapping on). Then use Arrange/repeat on all pages. They will appear as guides on all pages. They can be adjusted across pages like any other object.
    Tony

sledger is right, I was most interested in a way to clone or duplicate guides to already existing pages.

thank you very much for your offered solutions and help

I have run across this Guides Issue a lot recently and used different workarounds, non of which really that satisfactory. Bill's method is the fastest and if you assign them as repeating objects that work as well.

Master Guides or ability to assign "real" guides as repeating needs to be done thru selecting them and right-click, done throught the Object Gallery by assign it to the layer, the Guides Property dialog, or any combintation above.

===========

On the subject of repeating objects, it would be nice if their selection handles and their HHighlighting in the Object Gallery were a different color so we could easily recognize them.
    Last edited by jclements; 10 September 2009 at 02:30 PM.

Smile Re: Guides clone on all pages?

Quote Originally Posted by jclements View Post
    Bill's method is the fastest and if you assign them as repeating objects that work as well.
    Unless i am missing something, that, effectively, I think is what I was saying - put the objects on the first guides layer to line up with the guides (rectangles work just as well as lines) and apply repeat on all pages (i.e. propagate them) - they will automatically appear on all the other pages as guides. They can be adjusted on one page and then re-propagated to all the others at any time. Works a treat.
    Tony