Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Smile Embedding and switching between videos.

Hi guys!

I've been asked to put together a basic word processing suite of videos for the company I work for, I'm incorporating it into all into a web page and I'm having a bit of trouble.

I have a list of 10 flash video's and 10 links on the page, each link corresponds to a particular video. How do I set it up (using a placeholder) so that clicking a link will load and play that particular video all from the same page?

Thanks.

Default Re: Embedding and switching between videos.

Placeholder in popup layers.
    Each layer has a name (video1 / video2 etc) each layer has a placeholder with the embedded code. Create a button or text link which opens the relative (named) popup layer.

If you don't want the popup video layer disappearing if someone clicks away from the layer, use Johns 'locking popup' tweak and create a 'close' button to close each popup.

Thanks sledger, that works great!

I was wondering if you or anyone can solve another little problem, I'm using a graphical menu and I'd like the Mouse Over graphics to stay once that particular menu item has been selected until another item has been selected, this is to show to the student which video is being played (see attached images).

I'm assuming it has something to do with the mousedown layer? If so, how do I keep that particular mouse down menu image until another is pressed?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mouseoffmenu.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	65770   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mouseovermenu.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	65771  

Hi Nick, no this has nothing to do with the mouse down layer. In fact as I've often said before I don't know if the mouse down layer really has much use these days.

A mouse over layer, by altering the state of a button, indicates that it is a button and pressing it will lead to an action. Normally on an html page that means it loads another page. I'm not sure a mouseDown action prior to a complete page change is worth the effort in todays rapidly speeding up internet.

So that's enough waffle. How do you get your mouseOver graphic to stay once clicked. Under normal circumstances you can't because on click it loads a whole new page (unless your using a swf nav bar). Therefore what you need to do is to create a layer named "selected" on each page, such that it sits above the normal mouseOff mouseOver layers and hides those buttons. Just move the selected graphic & text to cover the relevant button for each page.

Don't know if this attachment helps or not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	png.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	65793  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 16 September 2009 at 02:23 AM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks Egg, I forgot to mention that it's all on just 1 page and I'm using layers to pop up the video that's selected. I'll try making another set of layers for selected menu items and see how that goes.

Edit: Is it possible to pop up more than one layer at a time?

Easy, just place your selected button overlay on each of the pop up layers.

I don't believe you can 2 or more pop up layers open with a single click but there's no limit to what's on each pop up layer, so you can have the placeholder for your video and the selected button overlay on each layer.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Doh, of course! I think I'm over-thinking things!