Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How can I insert a 'Search' button using WD?

I want to insert a search button into my web page? Is it possible to create it using the WD? If not, where can I find the HTML code for it?
    Thanks.

Default Re: How can I insert a 'Search' button using WD?

Not an option in XWD.

Try this: http://www.google.com/sitesearch/

Would this help ?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks guys,
    I'll give it a try, Drwyd. I hope I can use your file easily.

Drwyd,
    I have inserted your file into my sample web page design. But it did not work on my page. It tries to search the item I entered on talkgraphics.com, and then a google page appears. Why doesn't it search the item through my web pages? Do I have to have a web site design uploaded to the server in order to get this search feature to be functional?
    Could you please briefly explain how I can use the search file you provided?

Thanks again.

Kutay you need to change the URL (root domain) in the code to suit your own URL where the code instructs you to: //Enter domain of site to search.

You will ALWAYS get the search results from Google because the code uses Googles 'site search' which I posted in my first answer to you.

<script type="text/javascript">

//Enter domain of site to search.
    var domainroot="www.talkgraphics.com"

function Gsitesearch(curobj){
    curobj.q.value="site:"+domainroot+" "+curobj.qfront.value
    }

</script>

<form action="http://www.google.com/search" method="get" onSubmit="Gsitesearch(this)">

<p>Search&nbsp;www.talkgraphics.com:<br />
    <input name="q" type="hidden" />
    <input name="qfront" type="text" style="width: 250px" /> <input type="submit" value="Search" /></p>

</form>
    Change www.talkgraphics.com to your website root URL.

If you are after search function that doesn't use an external search engine results, then you may need to use a database and write your own sql query code.

If you simply want people to find a word/s in your page, tell them to use Ctrl+F

Thanks Sledger,
    It is clear now... I will make the necessary change in the code. However, I believe that people will not prefer to search items that they need to find through Google.

Can you post an example (site?) of an internal site search that you fancy?

There are many...
    www.hediyealemi.com is an example. It is a turkish gift website of my brother. If you enter the key word for the item you are looking for in the 'Ara(Search)' section then it will direct you to that item. This is located at the nearly-top right side of the page. You should enter, let's say bebek (doll), for the 'aranacak kelime' and select one of the items displayed.

This type of searching is exactly what I needed.

Nothing like that is possible with a $49.95 WYSIWTG graphic web designer which simply outputs your design to absolute positioned css markup code..

E-commerce sites with a searchable database via a query language is something you would need to pay someone to create for you.
    That site is protected from right-click, though entering view-source:http://www.hediyealemi.com/ in Chrome will show it anyway
    I see calls to ajax scripts and .asp, asp.net is web application framework developed and marketed by Microsoft to allow programmers to build dynamic web sites.
    Out of my league and definately not possible with XWD or any placeholder work-around.

I think it's time that many people get a bit realistic with Xara Web Designer and Xara Xtreme html output and what to expect with a budget application.
    Xara have done a fantastic job with this, but as they themselves clearly make a point of stating, it is not intended as a replacement to Dreamweaver or any other high-end html editor or is it aimed at professionals to program & deploy professional commercial websites.
    Now while it's true that we have seen some very professionally laid out and designed sites built by some very savvy users, web development is most definately a horses-for-courses scenario, and Xara is racing on quite a different track (where they are in front).
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 11 September 2009 at 11:46 AM. Reason: typos