Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Alignments with/without lines

Is there a way to align two objects without regard to line/line width? To explain: Let's say I have two objects, one with a line width of 2px and one with an 8px line. If I align them to the top right corner of the "Back" object (as in the attached file), when you check the alignment in "wire frame"/"outlines" view quality, you'll see that the 8px object is positioned down and left of the 2px one. I would would expect it to align the same as if I were to "Center" the two objects.

Of course, I can imagine a few work-arounds, but I'm wondering if there is a setting that allows alignment, ignoring line width.

BTW... For you Xara programmers that may be watching: Alignment of the line widths can be useful too, sometimes, so if this isn't currently possible and you think it might be included later, I think it would be better to have a choice.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    What's the difference between an Orange? A motorcycle, because a telephone pole doesn't have any doors!

Default Re: Alignments with/without lines

Only way is to convert the lines to shape.

If you have an object with an outline, clone the object and convert the line to shape. Select the original shape and set the outline to none.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Only way is to convert the lines to shape.
    Dern.... Ok, thanks Gary.
    What's the difference between an Orange? A motorcycle, because a telephone pole doesn't have any doors!

Zupdude,

Yes, it's very simple. Switch off the Scale Line Widths and they align perfectly.

Gary, you having a senior moment? ;-)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 06 September 2009 at 10:21 PM.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Another possibility is to use object snapping to snap the objects to each other.

Turn on object snapping
    Pick up object 2 by dragging a point on the outline and drag it so that the point snaps to the equivalent point on object 1.

Phil

I learned something new, Egg. I didn't know that.

Here's an updated illustration for those that don't want to download the XAR file.

Nifty,
    Harry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alignment with Scale Line Width ON and OFF.png 
Views:	146 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	65527  

for those that don't want to download the XAR file
    Thanks Harry, the .xar is only 12.8 KB but your image is 30 KB

Win some, lose some, Steve. But, hey, the thumbnail is only 12.82 KB. Plus Egg added the attachment to his post sometime after his initial posting but before I submitted mine.

I don't know about others, but sometimes I'm out and about and access TG from different PCs that don't have Xtreme installed on them (the HORROR!!!). It's nice to be able to see what's going on rather than having to wait until later when I can access my computer.

I sure wish I had known this tip about the alignment tool in conjunction with the scale line widths button before as it would have saved considerable time. So much for repositioning an object by adding or subtracting half the line width from the X and/or Y position value(s). Don't I feel silly now.

Live and learn,
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by HayTay View Post
    Here's an updated illustration for those that don't want to download the XAR file.
    Thanks... I should have included one when I first posted. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Thanks also to Gary (I'm not so sure you're senior to me). I appreciate your reply as well as your's Phil. Your "snap" trick won't work for the project at hand, but thank you.

Egg... Eggs-Xactly [Oh, that was bad] what I was hoping for!

Tip-O-The-Hat to all.
    Last edited by Zupdude; 07 September 2009 at 04:50 AM.

Harry, I wont start arguing over the odd 17Kb ;-) It was all tongue on cheek. In fact your mini tut displayed the difference far better than my xar.

The main point is that as many members understand the use of the "Scale Line Width" options as possible, probably one of the most unintuitive options with XX but a very important one.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host