Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Little tip on colouring line drawings

Quote Originally Posted by ZEBtoonz View Post

What I do is make a layer named Color and place it under my drawing. Then I use the Freehand Tool to create each shape or I use the Pen Tool to click around the shape and then push and pull the shape to fit. And that's about it.
    That technique was the exact same way I did it myself. Creating each shape with the shape editor tool and shaping it to fit.

I like drawing and adding colour to a drawing, but having this step of creating shapes just too add colour, I can do with out. It's not drawing and it's not colouring. There has to be a quicker way. Maybe Xara's programming masters can come up with even a better way of filling shapes in future editions of Xtreme.

I tried Indscape's fill tool, but it didn't give results I liked.

I'm on a Mac, and recently updated my OS to "Snow Leopard." The QuickTime update in Snow Leopard now has screen recording capabilities. So that's what I've been using for my latest videos.

I have VirtualBox on my iMac running Windows XP, which runs Xara Xtreme. Maybe I'll make a clip showing that too!
    •Bob

Thanks for the reply, Bob! I am always very interested in how people work and the ideas they come up with. I agree, that "there has to be a quicker way." Also, thanks for the explanation on how you do your videos. I have Camtasia Studio so I could try that.

In any case, since our work is so similar, I usually drop by your YouTube channel, website, blog, here on the forum, etc., to see what you're up to and any and all tips I can glean from you. I'd share more myself if I wasn't so darn busy with work! Guess that's a good sign, huh?

Only if it's "paying" work :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hahn View Post

I tried Indscape's fill tool, but it didn't give results I liked.
    it can be rough and ready - the settings are crucial, and so is the view-zoom [not always appreciated]

in inkscape you can close the gaps with the calligraphy tool which draws filled shape, so one less stage [if you are doing the linework there in the first place that is ]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Dogberth, I tried your suggestion but I get a blue box with my U cutout if the box is ontop and a black box with the U cutout if the box is behind my black U.
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

Andover, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

Here's a Xara file with the step-by-step, Nancy.

I don't know if this would work with Bob's example.

But I figured I'd bring it up and see why not.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -h
    ===============
    (a.k.a.) Bobby Harris