Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Making shift from WebStyle 4 to WebDesigner

A couple of quick points. I've been using WebStyle 4 together with MS Frontpage (2003) for about 3 or 4 years for several incarnations of this website: www.littleopera.ca.

Our (opera) company has recently completed a rebranding exercise to design a new logo. We are quite happy with the new logo - but now I am stumped on how to take that new design and extend it into a new (WebDesigner) template so that I can revamp my site with the new logo and extended template design.

So a couple of questions:
    1. Are there any 3rd party service providers that can take my logo design and extrapolate / extend it into a new WebDesigner Template for my use?
    2. Can 3rd party templates be used with WebDesigner (from any of those giant template sites?)

Default Re: Making shift from WebStyle 4 to WebDesigner

Hi OM - Welcome back to TG forums,

1. My approach would be to first take a screen shot of the page and place it on a layer in XWD. I would then use this to rebuild the site design from scratch.
    I'd then remove that layer before exporting and publishing.
    As far as the actually logo is concerned, I assume you mean this one ( http://www.littleopera.ca/Texturemak...page4_logo.gif ) - this can be used in XWD without a problem as it is.

2. No - XWD is not a html editor and cannot import sites or templates already created in other software.

Hi Sledger,
    Thanks for your comments / advice re making the shift from WS4 to XWD. I am indeed starting from scratch with this site as I am revamping the entire design based on recent professional logo work we'd engaged a marketing / design company to do for us. Our new redesigned logo is this: http://www.littleopera.ca/images/0910/new_loc_logo.png

The designer did a nice job for us on the logo - but didn't take the design as far as determine a new web page design for us. I think I can take it the rest of the way - but was looking for a leg up, and I would entertain the idea of hiring a (Xara or TG) professional to extend / extrapolate our new logo design into a web page template that I can use. Are there people that do that?

I haven't (so far) spent much time playing around with XWD yet - so the best way for me to move forward is probably to review the movies and jump in.

To the point about templates - do you know if there are plans to expand the templates that are currently available - perhaps making template packages available for purchase as was previously done for WS4?

Thx,
    operaman

Hi Operaman,

It would not surprise me if Xara does release templates for Web Designer and Xtreme 5.1 as there has been a lot of interest in both programs recently.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update