Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Adjusting a duplicate Cyan channel with the levels command

Hi

In the Channels pannel I made a copy of the the Cyan channel by dragging this channel to the New channel botton at the bottom of the Channels panel.

My hope was to make this channel easier to select by applying a Levels adjustment, in order to load it as a mask selection later on. However it turns out the Levels command will not recognize the Cyan copy as this copy is not available for selection in the Channel menu. The only channels I can select from the Channels menu in the Levels dialog box are the original Cyan, Magneta, Yellow and Black. Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong here?

Thank you for your time.
    IP

Default Re: Adjusting a duplicate Cyan channel with the levels command

I'm not quite following your purpose, but if you want to apply a levels adj to the Cyan copy, simply select it in your channels pallette, open levels and adjust as desired (the Cyan copy will be the ONLY available selection in the levels channel menu.)
    Lonnie
    IP

Thank you for your reply LonK. I am doing exactly that. I select the Cyan copy and open levels, however the Cyan copy is no where to be found. The only channels which appear in levels are CYMK, Cyan, Magneta,Yellow and Black. What is also strange is lets say I click on the black channel and attempt to make an adjustment nothing happens no adjustments can be made.
    IP

You cannot apply adjustment layers to channels as far as I know. If you copy a channel (for example cyan) then it will become an alpha channel. If you want to adjust the copy with adjustment layers and use it as a mask, you can either copy the channel and paste it into a new document or paste it as a new layer (not channel) and apply adjustment layers to that one. When you don't want to see the layer(s) just click the eye symbol in front of the copied layers.

Hope this helps.
    Paul the Gnurfmeister!
    Home: http://www.gnurf.net/v3/ | My stuff for sale: http://www.zazzle.com/gnurf* | Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pasoderholm

IP

I figured it out. Select the Cyan copy in the channels menu click on Image > Adjustments and then Levels, the Cyan copy is displayed in the Levels channel menu and is ready for an adjustment. Thanks anyways.
    IP