Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wanted - Dummy's Guide to Inserting Video

Hi.

I've been trying for a week to read up about inserting a flv video clip into a web page using WD - to no avail. I have an flv player and a flv file.
    I read the threads on this subject but they did not help me much.
    I've tried inserting into a placeholder but nothing seems to work. Is there anyone who can provide an IDIOT PROOF way of doing this. Any help MUCH appreciated.

Graham

Default Re: Wanted - Dummy's Guide to Inserting Video

Hi, I tried the same thing with no success initially, - my problem was that I couldn't get the 3 required files (the .flv file, the swfobject.js file, and the player file) to upload through the publish command no matter how I tried to "piggyback" them. Ultimately - I made the placeholder, inserted the script, and uploaded the files separately using the built in file uploader provided by my host. it worked well. I have had reports however of 2 site viewers only being able to hear the audio and not see the video?? - not sure why - I've had dozens of friends view it and it worked fine for them......

www.petermacinnes.741.com/pfgs/index.htm

FLV is an editable file format and is useful if A.) You have Flash, and B.) If you need to edit the frames. If you just want to play the video on your web page, convert the file to SWF and embed the file in a Placeholder.

That's about as easy as it gets.

If you don't have Flash, there are many utilities that convert from FLV to SWF. Here are the results of a Google search.

Thanks Gary for your helpful suggestion.

I have just tried that - created a rectangle on the MouseOff layer
    Used Web Properties to identify the swf file in the Placeholder menu

BUT when I Preview the page - the video plays both inside the rectangle AND over the entire page !! very strange. Any suggestions what is happening ?

I even tried creating a new layer called Video and placed the rectangle Placeholder on this layer. Still the same affect - two videos - one in the rectangle the other covering the whole page.

Thanks again

The placeholder should only be in on place. Probably on a popup layer. Then link to the popup layer to play the video.

SORTED !!! many thanks Gary.

I discovered that I must have linked a background rectangle to the Flash file previously and forgot to remove the placeholder link. It is now working PERFECTLY !!

What a great place this Forum is

Graham

Now the video is sorted I can say that my FIRST Xara web site is up and running. Quite a learning experience but I'm sure it won't be my last !!

have a look here to see my efforts.

www.roberthlee.co.uk

Graham

Graham,

Did you download and get some use from my response to your earlier thread?
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...939#post328939

I don't want to sound grumpy but mate, I spent almost two hours on this answer for you and didn't see any response about at all.
    Always good to get feed back - I do this for love you know

Hi Sledger,

my profuse apologies for not getting back to you - I have been driven demented by this ( and a few other problems with XWD ). I did try your suggestions but without success - it was due to desperation that I posted again for more help. I REALLY appreciated your help and feel guilty not to have thanked you before - put it down to my age !!!

Best wishes

Graham

It never hurts (and this is not just for Graham) to say thanks when one of the moderators or members helps with a problem. This is a free service. And if you have ever had to shell out the big bucks to get an answer from some online service, then you should really appreciate the expert free advice you get her on TG.