Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

The ability to clipboard-copy vector paths from Xara X directly into PS would be very useful. I can only do this now via Expression (I don't own Illustrator), as it supports the "AI on the Clipboard" file format. Very handy!

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

The ability to clipboard-copy vector paths from Xara X directly into PS would be very useful. I can only do this now via Expression (I don't own Illustrator), as it supports the "AI on the Clipboard" file format. Very handy!

K
    K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)

1. An obvious new feature suggestion, but still: The "History" function in PS is hugely practical. Yes, XX has infinite undo with minimal memory usage, but it's rather more practical to click on, say, "Apply bevel" to revert to an earlier stage - instead of the dumb and time-wasting action of pressing CTRL-Z 27 times!!!

2. "Magnetic" tool windows are wonderful, and gives programs a slick, click-in-place feel. XX's floating-vaguely-around tool windows seems like amateurish program design by comparison. Furthermore, why can't XX's tool windows be dockable, like those in Xara 3D is???

K
    K

If you're going to implement dockable windows/toolbars, please make the docking optional. Even when working in X3D, I want to be able to push those windows out of the way without closing them. I use the docking capability with toolbars on occasion, but with tool windows I get very annoyed because the docked windows take up so much screen real estate.

Floating tool windows that open automatically when you select a tool or pass your cursor near them (ala Paint Shop Pro) are also unacceptable.

Hello Klaus

I do think that you ought to download the demo of Illustrator 9 and try it out. It does have almost all of the Photoshop interface.

Perhaps then..........

Mike Engles

I agree .... I dislike floating tool palettes. That's one thing I like about XaraX ... it has the info bar (i'm used to the attribute bar in PhotoImpact6 which is similar to the thing they have in Corel Draw and XaraX .... who wants to clog up their screen with floating palettes anyway). Although some pop-up windows are needed in some cases but having your most used tools and settings sitting around taking up screen space when they aren't currently being used at that moment is archaic in my mind. I think they are a fundamentally poor design concept and I would like to see them abolished (hehe). Unfortunately, I think other companies try to copy Abobe's interface in their products and ..well ... I don't like that at all. The less XaraX is like Abobe-ware ... the better.

DK

Mike wrote: "I do think that you ought to download the demo of Illustrator 9 and try it out. It does have almost all of the Photoshop interface.

Perhaps then.........."

Perhaps then what? I tried it. Illustrator 9 is GREAT for CMYK work, as it has all that Adobe color management and rock-solid support for EPS/PDF files. Also, the various warping functions of vector art are great. And splendid text functions. And that sleek, polished Adobe look (unlike Xara, they have top-notch designers working for them). But I wouldn't want to create my art in it, of course, as Xara X obviously outshines it for ease of use. Curiously, Illustrator lacks PS's "History" function, so this is an area where XX could leap ahead!

Overall, I think I may have to get I9 one of these days too - oh, my poor wallet!

K
    K

I just discovered Illustrators "Gradient Mesh" tool - wonderful! Free-form adjustment of gradations! It has always been problematic that Xara's otherwise very fine envelope tool cannot change the gradations. So that does it - I'll just have to buy I9 too! Groan.

Yes, this is certainly one feature idea I'd like to see XaraX "steal".

All is fair in love and (soft)war(e)!

K
    K