Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mould tool giving jaggy edges on bitmap fills

Hi!

Is it just me, or is the quality of the Mould Tool not too astounding as far as bitmap fills are concerned?

I tried to do a slight perspective correction on a product photo with a perspective Mould, and the result is a bit sub-par (see attachment - the jaggies along the left and right inner edges). View quality set to highest...

Is there anything I can do about this maybe?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rs_esv.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	65054  
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks

Default Re: Mould tool giving jaggy edges on bitmap fills

There's always a trade off whenever you push a matrix of pixels around to suit your fancy.

Could you attach your original jpg because my tests don't show quite so much jagginess when correcting perspective.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	persepective-correction.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	65058

Alexander, I'd also believe the final outcome is very dependant on the quality of the original photograph. If your using a fairly low quality jpg to start with the resultant moulds going to be crap.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Actually there is nothing you can do about this until Xara fixes the problem which has been around as long as bitmaps have been used with the mold tool. This should not happen as there are many other apps that do realtime perspectives on bitmaps and don't look this bad. This should be an easy fix for Xara, doubt it will happen.

Well actually my results are not as bad as Alexander's which is why I'd like him to attach the original.

Quote Originally Posted by sgiff View Post
    This should be an easy fix for Xara, doubt it will happen.
    I agree that Xtreme doesn't have the bitmap bending power of dedicated raster editors, but then Xtreme is not a dedicated raster editor either, which is why they include Magix Xtreme Photo Designer with it's better skew tool.

Have you tried it?

Name:	skew.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	65066  

Relying totally on memory I seem to recall the the mould tool does not work in high quality [anti aliased?] mode, even if xtreme is set at that view

There was a 'fix' which involved something along the lines of using a higher size/resolution image for the mould, exporting and re-impoting as bitmap and reducing in size... ?

Perhaps this sounds familiar to another member?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Question Re: Mould tool giving jaggy edges on bitmap fills

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Alexander, I'd also believe the final outcome is very dependant on the quality of the original photograph. If your using a fairly low quality jpg to start with the resultant moulds going to be crap.
    If you create a rectangle with a border in Xara and convert to high quality bitmap and put the perspective mould onto this you still get the same jaggies. The jaggies get less as you zoom in on the result. This suggests to me that it is simply resulting from a lack of anti-aliasing rather than anything to do with photo quality.
    Tony

Thanks for all your replies!

Yes, it does indeed look like there's no anti-aliasing / oversampling taking place at all, which means that the source image quality can't really be the issue. The same source JPEG will produce decent results in dedicated bitmap editors indeed.

I've never even tried this Xtreme Photo Designer thing though - will do it now!

For sledger's pleasure, though, here's the original file

(And please, I DID NOT TAKE THIS PHOTO!!! )

Name:	ESV.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	65070  
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks

To get rid of the jaggies.
    create a bitmapcopy>300dpi
    It should be fine now.

Hans

Name:	moulded1.png 
Views:	137 
Size:	179.2 KB 
ID:	65071  

Wow haakoo, nice trick! That works like a charme - "manual oversampling" :-) Now Xara just needs to do that automatically and the problem is fixed Wonder why they don't do that...

The Mould tool in general seems to be a bit like a "relic from stone age"... It doesn't even do a live preview
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks