Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CMYK - color profiles

Hello,

I need to submit a CMYK file to a printer with the ICC color profile Working CMYK - US Web Coated SWOP V2.

It appears that I can export CMYK, but I am wondering where I should specify the ICC color profile.

Also, I am still confused as the best workflow for CMYK.

Can I use Xara to convert an image from RGB to CMYK?

Is there a way to see on my screen colors as close as possible to what they will be like once printed?

Thanks

Default Re: CMYK - color profiles

Welcome to TG Forums jcr, glad to have you here.

CMYK questions have been regularly posted by many Talkgraphics members.
    I invite you to use the Forum Search to see if you question has already been answered.
    Here is a list of posts already tagged with 'CMYK'

Thank you for the links. Quite useful.
    Xara automatically converts images from RGB to CMYK; how good is that translation? How can I adjust this translation? I am assuming that setting the right ICC profile does help.

I am hesitating between adobe and xara and so far xara is ahead because it has more features at a better price. But, CMYK / print is key for me. Has anyone any experience in this area? I read in those threads a few concerns about xara and CMYK;

Does the Xara team intend to develop further in this area?

Thank you

Sorry I can't find it, but Charles Moir wrote a large post about CMYK and RGB. If you can find it, That will probably give you more insight as to Xara's stand.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Was this the post you were thinking of Keith?

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showpost...3&postcount=27

Welcome to the Xtreme forum jcr.

I would export to PDF/X+ (ask your printer what versions she or he supports).

If your monitor is calibrated you should be pretty well off with your color. Xtreme automatically converts all RGB to CMYK and does a pretty good job of it.

You can only embed a color profile if you select the Custom option in Advanced Options > Prepress section. And then a series of profiles are available in the ... drop down list when you check Embed Profile....

However, I would recommend using the US Web Coated SWOP, etc. setting. Your printer can adjust the settings if necessary at his or her end.

Thanks for the answers and the advice. I am going to follow the instructions and print something for a test. What would be a good picture for a test? A rainbow?
    I have a photographer who wants to send me files that are already CMYK (he did the conversion and is sending me a pdf); can I just import that image and be confident it will be printed right after some integration with other elements in Xtreme Pro 5?

No, you dont

PDF, CMYK bitmaps in PDF will be auto converted to 24 bit RGB, and on your export they will be again converted to new CMYK trought some new CMYK profile, this will give you different result

See.... vector program is for vector works.... photos are rasters, its better they to be worked in raster programm....
    When your photograf send you CMYK bitmaps, I think he/she expect colors to be unchanged
    [A]bort? [R]etry? or [S]elf distruct

minimiro.com

Steve,

I don't think that was the post I remembered, but I can't find the one I was looking for .... Perhaps my memory is failing .... Isn't that a surprise!
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Charles has had quite a lot to say over the years when the CMYK support question arises.
    Here's a thread from 2006 where Charles attempts to clear up some misunderstandings.

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...highlight=CMYK

It's also worth tracking down member minimiro's posts and doing a search for CMYK.
    He's a professional who knows much about CMYK and Xtreme.

Peter (Albacore) is also in the business and knows a fair bit on the subject.