Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Talking Intro and asking for your help.

Hi to all.
    My name is Michael. I am a barrier free designer. that means I design for the handicapped in both residential and the commercial fields. I am new here and in deep need of your help. I have an image that I drew and scanned into my computer. my main question is how do I take this 2D illustration and convert it into a 3D image using Xara-3d V6. Any help that you give me will be most welcome and appreciated. look forward to making some new friends and learn a lot from this forum.

Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wedding card-2.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	65008  

Default Re: Intro and asking for your help.

Hi Michael, welcome to the forum.
    The image you posted is a .jpg, which has no transparency. It is a rectangular shape made up of a matrix of pixels. If you still have your original drawing, it needs to be rescanned and saved in .png (portable network graphics) format with alpha transparency. It would then be possible to work with this in Xara 3D, otherwise, with the .jpg file, all you will get is a 3D rectangular shape. My attachment shows the result you want, which I have placed on a black background to show the transparency.
    Below in my signature is a link to a tutorial of mine which takes you through the process, it is intended for beginners with little knowledge of computer graphics. Any problems, be sure to ask, as we are a friendly bunch, happy to help.
    Saludos,
    Bob.

Name:	image.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	65010  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Smile Re: Intro and asking for your help.

Hi Bob

TY kindly for your responce. I have downloaded your tutorial and will go thru it very carefuly. I will repost the image when I am finished with it to show you how I did. Again TY so much for your help.

Michael

Bob,

How do you get a .png into X3D?

I still get a rectangle when importing it .....
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Hi Keith. Posted the original reply early this morning after a long night. What I should have said was that I took the original .jpeg and adjusted it in Xara Xtreme using the Photo tool to improve the outlines by increasing the contrast, then creating a bitmap trace. This is the vector to use for X3D. The .png would be used for the texture. I won't post a result of that until Michael posts a result that may require it.
    Sorry for any confusion.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Hi Michael and welcome to the forums. These shapes are very intricate and best produced as vectors, the only shapes Xara3D can import. The best way to create them would be in Xara Xtreme, do you have it? If not you can download the full version for a free trial period.

I've recreated just a part of your work in Xtreme.

There is also an added problem with your work in that like Celtic knots there's a lot of Under/Over work that X3D can't handle, so you're either going to have to fake it by creating gaps or by using a bitmap texture.

I think you should be able to follow by looking at these examples.

Name:	scroller1.gif 
Views:	121 
Size:	145.3 KB 
ID:	65041   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scroller2.gif 
Views:	134 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	65042  

Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

And here's the one with a texture on it.

Name:	scroller3.gif 
Views:	122 
Size:	153.2 KB 
ID:	65047  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thumbs up Re: Intro and asking for your help.

OK well looks like I am going to have to downlaod extreme and try it out. I guess thats why when I tried to load up the png file it would not do it. TY all for your kind help. I will download extreme and see how this all works out as soon as I have it done I will let you all know. Again TY for all your kind help guys. Egg, I love the way you broke it up I am going to have to do that. Works better than my original idea.
    Michael