Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What happens to old Xaras??

Presumably they don't die!

I've got old copies of Xara going back to the first version and wondered whether I can give version 4 to a friend. I guess she wouldn't be able to upgrade it, but presumably she could register it and use it as I'm no longer using it. Do I need to do anything special in order for her to be able to use it?

Many thanks!

Mermaid

Drat I followed the wrong bookmark - meant to post this to the Xara Forum... Sorry about this. Hopefully someone will move it there and not shout at me too much :-(
    Last edited by Mermaid; 21 August 2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Posted in wrong forum

Default Re: What happens to old Xaras??

Hi Mermaid,

I'll move your post to the other forum.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Hi Mermaid,

I'll move your post to the other forum.
    Thanks and double thanks for not shouting ;-) Will check my bookmarks more carefully in future.

I don't see why you cannot give a copy you are not using and that is NOT INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPUTER to a friend.

But if the copy is installed on your computer, even if you are not using it, then that is probably not OK.

Andover, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

Licensing is very clear on this. You can give someone your old copy as long as you're no longer running it.

I find this a great way to get someone started with Xara and in a few cases, they have upgraded and one bought other software (3d, Menu Maker).
    -h
    ===============
    (a.k.a.) Bobby Harris

Thanks for the help, this is what I'd hoped. I'll check that I have uninstalled it and pass it along.

I suspect that you can only upgrade a copy once, as otherwise you could take an old copy and upgrade it several times which could be cheaper than a site licence...

Mermaid

The EULA is in the Xtreme 4 help file (search 'EULA'):

This passage is relevant to your question

XARA XTREME END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT ("EULA")

You are permitted to:

1. load or download the Software and use it only on a single client computer which is under your personal control;

2. transfer the Software from one computer to another provided it is used on only one computer at any one time;

3. make one copy of the Software for back-up purposes only in support of the permitted use. The copies must reproduce and include Xara's copyright notices;

4. transfer the Software (complete with all its associated documentation) and this license to another person provided he has agreed to accept the terms of this Agreement and you contemporaneously transfer all copies of the Software you have made to that person or destroy all copies not transferred. If any transferee does not accept such terms then this license shall automatically terminate. The transferor does not retain any rights under this Agreement in respect of the transferred Software or license.

You are not permitted:

(a) to use the Software on any computer or system which permits electronic access to it by more than one user;

(b) to rent, lease, sub-license, loan, copy (except as expressly provided in this Agreement), modify adapt, merge, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or create derivative works based on the whole or any part of the Software or its associated documentation except as permitted by law;

(c) except as expressly provided in this Agreement, to use, reproduce or deal in the Software in any way.

Cool Re: What happens to old Xaras??

If you buy an upgrade then it doesn't seem reasonable to me that you can pass the original program on to anyone else even once. You only get the upgrade because you already have the original program. If you give it to someone else then only they can get the upgrade, not you.
    Tony

Andover, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

Tony,

One of the great policies of Xara is that they don't sell "upgrades".

They sell a newer version at a lower price because you own a previous product.

Ultimately I paid for the original program. I should be allowed to upgrade.

If I buy version 1 and then buy version 2, and give me cousin version 1, I still paid both both. Since both are paid for, both should qualify. Plus, my cousin bought version 4 when it came out. So she paid for that.

I like the fact that Xara does not charge the way Adobe does, and for that reason I will ALWAYS recommend Xara and never Adobe.
    -h
    ===============
    (a.k.a.) Bobby Harris

Talking Re: What happens to old Xaras??

I don't think so!
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 22 August 2009 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Removed quoted preceding post
    Tony