Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: A Wordpress template with XARA - is it possible?

The thing is that with Artisteer you don't have the total control on your web page. You depend on a certain html layer you didn't choose at first.

I just downloaded this Artisteer program, it seems to be a very nice program.

It is in the new wave of programs which allow to generate templates with minimal effort, at low cost, and based upon prefabricated textures, patterns and models, but with a second-hand artistic sense.

Because one depends with such program on the samples available, and it doesn't really allow webdesign in the real sense of it. These are kinds of templates factories, not artistic softwares.

Actually, there is also but for websites in flash, AuroraFlash in the same idea.

Edit:

But for Wordpress, Joomla and other kinds of popular CMS, that does the trick for sure.
    Last edited by ab29; 24 November 2009 at 08:31 PM.

I have to disagree here.
    Artisteer can make the template but it can be customized with your graphics. I make most of my own graphics with Xara and import them into Artisteer.
    Using Artisteer is an easy way to build a template for a CMS which is much harder to do by hand.
    I still love Xara and have been using it for graphics since version 1.0 (remember CorelXara?)
    And I still use Web Designer as I find it very quick and easy to construct a page. I then use Joomlas Wrapper to show the page and this seems to work really well. I also use it for my 404's
    So I must say Nay to the second 'hand artistic sense' comment.
    The purpose of a CMS web site is store large amounts of data and it can look artistic when it does this. Especially with the help of Xara's great programs.

This is a site I am working on at present.
    http://aczemporium.com/aczoomla

And if you want to see the 404's just type /joe after the link above.

Cheers
    Andrew
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 25 November 2009 at 12:05 AM. Reason: No need to quote preceding post.

Sir, i'm not being personal nor saying that your site have a second-hand artistic sense.

What i'm saying is that Artisteer like any software has its limitations. And for webdesign, limitations, not only into the graphical areas, but also in the structure of the website have its importance.

CMS imposes to you fixed layers with generally, a main container, side-columns, header and footer. I'm sorry to say that for a visual webdesigner, working upon such a basis may be difficult, because one can not begin from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by ab29 View Post
    Sir, i'm not being personal nor saying that your site have a second-hand artistic sense.

What i'm saying is that Artisteer like any software has its limitations. And for webdesign, limitations, not only into the graphical areas, but also in the structure of the website have its importance.

CMS imposes to you fixed layers with generally, a main container, side-columns, header and footer. I'm sorry to say that for a visual webdesigner, working upon such a basis may be difficult, because one can not begin from scratch.
    Hi ab29
    I understand your point. Yes CMS does impose restrictions on the design unless you get right down to the css and make changes in them, but yes, you are still restricted.
    I think we are talking apples and oranges here.

HTML is not CMS
    However, you can create a unique site in CMS as well as HTML,
    What it boils down to is what you or your customers purpose is for the site.

Cheers
    AC

The best Wordpress implementations are either designed from scratch, requiring a fair amount of knowledge in the php, css, and Wordpress technicals, or modified from an existing template. Some people do simple modifications, while others extensively modify code, etc. Many of the CMS design restrictions can be overcome by designing your own custom graphic elements.

While I've done several Wordpress sites using Artisteer for the structure, and Xara for supplementing the graphics (with great results), I haven't tried doing an html page in Xara then dropping it into the appropriate place in the php template. Seems as though that might be possible for something like a home page where you want the graphics to pop out at a visitor. More than likely, this would present a bit of a technical challenge.

Xara is truly excellent for replacing the commonplace Artisteer banners, which is very easily done within the Artisteer interface. Overall, the two programs complement each other nicely.

I'm just starting a new project that requires a CMS, so may try to be more aggressive in my use of Xara. Will update the board with the results...

Steve

I've successfully used this combination of programs (WD5/XX5/WD6 and Artisteer) many times. I have found it to be a great alternative to fooling around with other methods of creating "editable " text. You simply upload the template to the appropriate platform and then allow your client to do the text editing.

Quote Originally Posted by subrosa View Post
    I've successfully used this combination of programs (WD5/XX5/WD6 and Artisteer) many times. I have found it to be a great alternative to fooling around with other methods of creating "editable " text. You simply upload the template to the appropriate platform and then allow your client to do the text editing.

Hi,

I know about Artisteer and did use the trial, but never came to the idea to use it with Xtreme / WD. Do you have some samples what you did create?

Thanks Tom