Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How do you create a "fade" effect? Example pic included

How do you create a fade effect for an image? This is the example pic if you are not sure what I mean by:

http://sportsgaming.files.wordpress..../nbalive10.jpg

I want to make the image look like it is moving and as that above pic it has like a fade, shadow type of effect that drags along the screen.
    IP

Default Re: How do you create a "fade" effect? Example pic included

Welcome to Talkgraphics forums Archangel22

With PS comes a a filter call 'Motion Blur'.
    Apply this to your selection.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motion-blur.png 
Views:	162 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	64913
    IP

Cool cool,Ill be hear alot Im trying to create sport theme frames with various pic of legends in sports. Im trying to make a Chicago bulls poster with various pics. I tried useing the motion blur option while it does fade it, it doesnt keep the image clear like that example pic I mentioned. It blurs everything. I want to create that fade effect like the person is moving. Kinda like Superman, when he flies at the speed of light you see a blur, say if you were to take a freeze frame you would capture his body in exact detail like he is frozen but you would see a wave of red for example in his cape flowing behind him etc.
    IP

The secret to making these effects work is to use layer masks, you should be able to work out what i have done from the posted image, if not try google and search layer masks Photoshop.
    The subject of masks is huge but straight forwards when you get your head round it , the key to so much good stuff that you can do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	64941  
    IP

This example has been done in a rush so just a bit rough but it should give you an idea of the way to go. I have used the liquefy filter on a copy layer of the boy, to pull more of the body of the runner out to overstate the effect of running fast. Then as with the other post just paint on a layer mask to blend the layers together .

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	64960  
    IP

The effect you desire is called motion trail. While you can use Photoshop's motion blur, it will require some work. One problem will be that motion blur blurs in two directions. You can't just trail in a single direction. So -- Make a selection of the object and jump it to a new layer. Duplicate this layer. Apply the motion blur to under layer. Move that layer in the desired trail direction. Erase (or mask) what remains on the other direction. Adjust blur layer opacity or try one of the contrast blend modes if desired.

Another approach would be to use a dedicated plug-in, which will save you time and give you many options unavailable with motion blur. E.G. a curved motion trail would be quite troublesome to create with motion blur.

Good luck,

Name:	motiontrail.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	64963  
    Lonnie
    IP