Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Welcome

Greg,

I'm so glad Mike helped you get that working!

(whew!)

Do you mind making one (or two) new topics in the forum and posting the pictures again.

so we can have a fun discussion about the pictures in their own thread.

Just a thought. I'll leave it to your own judgement. (leave the pictures here too just make a duplicate posting or add more commentary -- whatever)

Anyway, I'm really glad you got the pictures in the forum. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Several messages answered in one response:

I think your solution is a good one. We can all benefit from your help and sending it to us in your own messages is the logical and usual method.

Thanks for your thoughtfulness in first wanting to help, and later in finding the better method.

Robin Gilmor (Re: missing messages)

As mentioned in an previous post, my earlier messages have been deleted.

To clarify, I did not suggest deleting a Painter brush file. What I did suggest was:

After a Painter session, when Painter is closed, go to the Painter main folder, find the "Pre-built Brush File" and delete it. (Make sure you have the correct file first, before deleting it.)

The reason is that this file grows with each use of Painter and can become extremely large, sometimes in just one Painter session. When it becomes too large, it affects Painter's performance.

As the file is regenerated when Painter is opened again, deleting it does not cause damage to Painter.

kardis (Re: Jinny's Post? Where?

Hi, nice to see a new face. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img])

Jinny is not a "his", nor is Jinny "a female" *g*

She is a woman, among other things.. including being a Painter lover.

Jinny is my childhood nickname.. for Virginia. I'm the mother of two grown human beings and grandmother of five ranging in age from 5 to 21.

Since I read Painter Forum on the web, it's not possible to repost them as I don't have copies myself.

There are some tutorials for Painter on my website, some of which are good for new Painter users:

http://www.pixelalley.com/tutorials/tuthome.html

I hope they help you get over a few of the first hurdles and begin to enjoy Painter. Especially check the one named "Learning the Tools Palette", and another called "'Erasing' on a Transparent Layer (Transparent Layer Masks)" Both of these are basic and will help you, I think.

Athena (Re: Speaking up -- Jinny)

At my age (64 in September), I don't get upset much over anything that happens on an e-mail list or newsgroup. If it's worth the bother, I deal with it directly. If not, I go elsewhere. I decided this group might be worth the bother.

My messages were deleted as I awaited confirmation that future messages will not be altered without my knowledge and permission. As mentioned earlier, it is nearly unheard of on any list or newsgroup to which I subscribe, or have ever subscribed (and these are many over several years), for a member message to be altered by someone else, let alone without having consulted with the member first.

I don't want to beat that principle into the ground further. I think everyone here is able to understand my meaning. Obviously Mike did, and has made the decision to deal with member messages differently from now on.. for which I've thanked him and for which I respect him.

The decision to delete my messages had nothing whatsoever to do with you or any other member of the Painter Forum. If anyone feels "punished or chastised", I'd suggest thinking that over again. If you enjoyed seeing my previous posts, I hope you'll find something useful in future posts from me.

Should I ever feel the need to delete another of my posts in this forum (which is doubtful), I'll be gone with them.

Counting to ten is usually recommended as an alternative to an impulse, or a temper tantrum. Mine was not an impulse, nor was it a temper tantrum. It was a definite action taken for two reasons:

1. It was (then) the only way I could ensure that they would not be altered.

2. To make my point clear and to also make it clear that I'm not kidding.

Apparently, both of these objectives were met.

It's regrettable that I felt the need to remove my messages. It's commendable that Mike has found another method of helping members without altering their messages unless they know in advance and agree. Perhaps you, like Mike, can realize the source of my decision to delete my messages. I came to the Painter forum to learn and to share what I have learned. Nothing more, nothing less.

New members will not feel "lost" for long. Life in the e-mail world moves fast and the (minor) void will be filled equally fast.

If you are concerned about having a "trend" develop, which I doubt is going to happen, consider why one might choose to remove one's message(s) and know that whatever that person posts is an offering to the group, not to be expected, but respected.

Again, Mike has clearly shown that he does respect this. Thank you, Mike. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img])

Writing, editing, and even deleting one's messages in the Painter Forum is not a "liberty". It is a convenience provided to the members and is their right to use as long as the forum is set up as it is. If you want not to allow deletion of messages by the writer, maybe the forum can be set up differently.

As to letting you and the other members know what's on my mind, well.. I've done that. <g>

"But I think it would be courteous to all of us if people left their postings in place."

It was even more courteous for the source of my decision to remove my messages to reconsider and find a more respectful (and usual) manner in which to assist the Painter forum members.. other than altering their messages.

Again, any member of the Painter Forum who chooses to send a message, is freely contributing to the group. It is not a right of the other members to receive these messages. On the contrary, it is a gift they can enjoy and respect... not demand, take for granted, or misuse.

Perhaps my approach comes from having been a professional artist for nearly 30 years, working with other professionals in "real life" as well as in e-mail lists and newsgroups for almost 6 years, and having seen that there is also a "professional" and ethical way for groups to work together. You have a good bunch of people here and I think everyone can benefit from working and playing together in an atmosphere of respect and professionalism... not stiff and unyielding.. but thoughtful and considerate.

Now, shall we get on with what we came her for? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img])

Jinny
    ______

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Hi everyone,

I tried several times to post this message to the Welcome thread on October 16, 2000. Since it wouldn't post, I gave up and began a new thread.

Although some of it's old news by now, some may be helpful so I'm posting it here today, to make sure the people I responded to know that I did. Here's what I wrote in the message posted to the new thread:

Since I've attempted to post this response three times in the Welcome thread and it doesn't seem to be taking, I'm starting a new thread. I sincerely hope that all of my former attempts to send don't result in multiple postings on the Welcome thread. If they do, my apologies.

I wonder why, though, I was able to post a message in another thread and have it appear instantly? Hmmm....

Here's the one I've been trying to send to the Welcome thread.

Several messages answered in one response:

I think your solution is a good one. We can all benefit from your help and sending it to us in your own messages is the logical and usual method.

Thanks for your thoughtfulness in first wanting to help, and later in finding the better method.

Robin Gilmor (Re: missing messages)

As mentioned in an earlier post, my earlier messages have been deleted.

To clarify, I did not suggest deleting a Painter brush file. What I did suggest was:

After a Painter session, when Painter is closed, go to the Painter main folder, find the "Pre-built Brush File" and delete it. (Make sure you have the correct file first, before deleting it.)

The reason is that this file grows with each use of Painter and can become extremely large, sometimes in just one Painter session. When it becomes too large, it affects Painter's performance.

As the file is regenerated when Painter is opened again, deleting it does not cause damage to Painter.

kardis (Re: Jinny's Post? Where?

Hi, nice to see a new face. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jinny is not a "his", nor is Jinny "a female" *g*

She is a woman, among other things including being a Painter lover. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jinny is my childhood nickname.. for Virginia. I'm the mother of two grown human beings and grandmother of five ranging in age from 5 to 21.

Since I read Painter Forum messages on the web, it's not possible to repost as I don't have copies myself.

There are some tutorials for Painter on my website, some of which are good for new Painter users:

http://www.pixelalley.com/tutorials/tuthome.html

I hope they help you get over a few of the first hurdles and begin to enjoy Painter. Especially check the one named "Learning the Tools Palette", and another called "'Erasing' on a Transparent Layer (Transparent Layer Masks)" Both of these are basic and will help you, I think.

Athena (Re: Speaking up -- Jinny)

At my age (64 in September), I don't get upset much over anything that happens on an e-mail list or newsgroup. If it's worth the bother, I deal with it directly. If not, I go elsewhere. I decided this group might be worth the bother.

My messages were deleted as I awaited confirmation that future messages will not be altered without my knowledge and permission. As mentioned earlier, it is nearly unheard of on any list or newsgroup to which I subscribe, or have ever subscribed (and these are many over several years), for a member message to be altered by someone else, let alone without having consulted with the member first.

I don't want to beat that principle into the ground further. I think everyone here is able to understand my meaning. Obviously Mike did, and has made the decision to deal with member messages differently from now on.. for which I've thanked him and for which I respect him.

The decision to delete my messages had nothing whatsoever to do with you or any other member of the Painter Forum. If anyone feels "punished or chastised", I'd suggest thinking that over again. If you enjoyed seeing my previous posts, I hope you'll find something useful in future posts from me.

Should I ever feel the need to delete another of my posts in this forum (which is doubtful), I'll be gone with them.

Counting to ten is usually recommended as an alternative to an impulse, or a temper tantrum. Mine was not an impulse, nor was it a temper tantrum. It was a definite action taken for two reasons:

1. It was (then) the only way I could ensure that they would not be altered.

2. To make my point clear and to also make it clear that I'm not kidding.

Apparently, both of these objectives were met.

It's regrettable that I felt the need to remove my messages. It's commendable that Mike has found another method of helping members without altering their messages unless they know in advance and agree. Perhaps you, like Mike, can realize the source of my decision to delete my messages. I came to the Painter forum to learn and to share what I have learned. Nothing more, nothing less.

New members will not feel "lost" for long. Life in the e-mail world moves fast and the (minor) void will be filled equally fast.

If you are concerned about having a "trend" develop, which I doubt is going to happen, consider why a person might choose to remove his/her message(s) and know that whatever that person posts is an offering to the group, not to be expected, but respected.

Again, Mike has clearly shown that he does respect this. Thank you, Mike. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Writing, editing, and even deleting one's messages in the Painter Forum is not a "liberty". It is a convenience provided to the members and is their right to use as long as the forum is set up as it is. If you want not to allow deletion of messages by the writer, maybe the forum can be set up differently.

As to letting you and the other members know what's on my mind, well.. I've done that. <g>

"But I think it would be courteous to all of us if people left their postings in place."

It was even more courteous for the source of my decision to remove my messages to reconsider and find a more respectful (and usual) manner in which to assist the Painter forum members.. other than altering their messages.

Again, any member of the Painter Forum who chooses to send a message, is freely contributing to the group. It is not a right of the other members to receive these messages. On the contrary, it is a gift they can enjoy and respect... not demand, take for granted, or misuse.

Perhaps my approach comes from having been a professional artist for nearly 30 years, working with other professionals in "real life" as well as in e-mail lists and newsgroups for almost 6 years, and having seen that there is also a "professional" and ethical way for groups to work together. You have a good bunch of people here and I think everyone can benefit from working and playing together in an atmosphere of respect and professionalism... not stiff and unyielding.. but thoughtful and considerate.

Now, shall we get on with what we came her for? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jinny
    ______

Jinny Brown

Jinny Brown
    IP

Um... Is there a good reason my posts to this thread are not accepted?

Jinny

Jinny Brown
    IP