Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Text Flow changes when page is resized

I am taking pages from a small newspaper we put out which were make up in XX4 and putting them on the web.

To do so, I am grouping the pages and them pasting all of them onto the web page and then doing a pop up of each page. I have put several pages up like this before and had no problem - all in XWD.

I am now using XX5 but ran into a problem - when I paste and then re-size one of the pages on which I have two columns of text down to a thumbnail size, the text in the columns starts to re-size the columns, i.e., the text in left column stops shrinking and moves text over into the right column, thereby extending the text down below the bottom of the text box for the column and onto the ads below it.

This does not happen until I shrink the page to just above the thumbnail size.

I have tried to group the parts of the page in different ways but have not solved the problem.

Any suggestions? - jb
    - jb

"A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes."
    www.brownpotters.com

Default Re: Text Flow changes when page is resized

Maybe you can post the file in question so we can see what's happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Maybe you can post the file in question so we can see what's happening.
    Boy, I tried to upload the file and, after a very long time, rec. this message -

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

The problem is on 8 out of 20 pages, with text flowing down the 2nd text column and some text in ads going out of the ad.

I have found a way to solve the problem - change the pages to bitmap copies. I have done this with pg 18 and it solved the problem.

What is strange, I have put several months of these pages up - all made up in XX4 and pasted into XWD - with no problems. This time, some of the pages were made up in XX5 and I used the WD in XX5.

And this DOES NOT happen if I shrink the page in XX5 or XX4 - the text stays put. Only moves the text in columns and ads when copied into WD.

What seems to be happening is that when the font size gets down to around 3pts it will not go any smaller and sends the text to the next attached text box.

At least I have found a way to solve the problem, I think. I will not go and change all the pages to bitmaps as see if it solves all the problems.
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

Don't know about the upload issue, perhaps a moderator can tell you more about it.

With regards to converting text to bitmaps, this is not really an ideal solution. Hopefully you manage to upload your file later.

The error message is related to an illegal file size.
    Please keep your attachments within the allowable files sizes for the type as indicated in the attachment manager screen (the screen you use to browse for your file to upload)

For Xara Web Designer and Xara Xtreme files - 10mb (megabytes) is the largest size you may attach.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	max-file-size.png 
Views:	112 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	64662  

Tks, Steve - I was trying to upload the whole web site which is more that 10mb. - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

Quote Originally Posted by jeb View Post
    What seems to be happening is that when the font size gets down to around 3pts it will not go any smaller and sends the text to the next attached text box.
    Excuse me Jeb, why on earth are you wanting fonts on a web page to be 3pt (= 4pix) or smaller????
    Text cannot be read at this size

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeb-3pt-text.png 
Views:	145 
Size:	3.3 KB 
ID:	64689

Steve, when I take a "normal" page size and scale it down to a thumbnail as I have on the site, the page is not readable - it is a thumbnail.

But when I do this, the text behaves as I have stated above and when I then do a pop up of that thumbnail, the text and page is run down into the page and even off the page.

As I mentioned, this seems to happen when the text is about 2-3 pts.

I solved the problem by making a bitmap out of the page before scaling. - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com