Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cropping

Default Cropping

Just want to get this clarified for myself... from what I've seen in previous threads on this topic, it appears that true cropping isn't a function that you can do in Xara Xpro, correct? So one would still need a program like Photoshop to do that kind of thing, right?

Default Re: Cropping

Hello Fuss,

You are not correct that Xtreme or Xtreme Pro cannot do a true crop.

Perform your crop (or clip) then export the result as .jpg, .gif, .png, etc. and it is a truely cropped image.

Within Xtreme you can undo the crop (clip) and do other manipulations but your export is as cropped as if you had performed it in Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Photopaint, The Gimp, or any other raster editor.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

No, Xara's Photo tool will do what you want.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Cropping can easily be done in Xara a number of ways. You can use the photo tool to crop (Clip) this is non destructive, but if you want it destructive, you can make a bitmap copy of the non-destructive crop. You can use intersect to crop to a given shape, which is also non-destructive. You can use a mask, or you can even select an area and export to form a different file. I would never use any other program to do my cropping.

EDIT: Too slow off the mark again.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Oh, that's encouraging because I love Xara Xpro way more than Photoshop!!!

So what tool in Xara Xpro would I use that is the equivalent of the Lasso tool in Photoshop? What I'm trying to do is cut a headshot out from the background really close and precisely.

The shape editor ........ Draw the shape roughly, zoom in and adjust as necessary. Intersect with background. The really good thing, if you realise that you missed something and need to adjust it, you can adjust the shape at any time and get the "lost" pieces back.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Thanks, I'll try that. I'm still not real good at using the shape editor tool.

Here's another question... one of the other things I used alot in Photoshop was the Magic Wand tool. Is there an equivalent feature to that in Xara Xpro?

No Magic Wand, I'm afraid. Xtreme is primarily a vector (shapes) program.
    Photoshop and Paintshop Pro are more specialized with tools for dealing with raster images (those that are made up of pixels).
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    Cropping can easily be done in Xara a number of ways. Y......use intersect to crop to a given shape, which is also non-destructive. You can use a mask, or you can even select an area and export to form a different file. I would never use any other program to do my cropping.
    ALAS... if only this were true! After using CorelDraw and Photoshop for man years I was very excited that I would finally do without them by usinig Xtreme! Alas, one function that I use very extensively in Photoshop (even to a certain degree in Corel) cannot be done in Xtreme and that is the Magic Wand. or Can it ? Please tell me if it can. I have been waiting since before Xtreme for someone to add that little function to XARA!

THANK YOU very much in advance!

Another ALAS! iamtheblues, I just noticed your reply about the magic wand. i Know about vector programs which I primarily use, but if you were in my position and the only thing standing between you and using Xtreme was the magic ward tool you would be hugely frustrated as I am, because Xtreme does all the other photo editing functions (or at least mimics them) EXCEPT for the very useful magic wand tool ! Although I already upgraded to Xtreme 5 my bitterness has grown more that XARA had added over 100 major changes and none of them is this simple itty bitty magic Ward! Is anyone listening?