Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to cut out (freehand) parts of photo

Hi,

I just bought X5, also bought web designer a few months ago, I love them both. I have searched, watch the movies and I still have no idea how to cut out, with the freehand tool, an object from a photo. I know you can do it because I did see a video ( a few months ago) where they took the photo of the cow and traced along it, leaving only the cow, and then deleted the rest of the photo so that there just was a cow with no background. That's just what I'd like to do. I'd like to trace along the outline of an object in a photo and then delete the rest of the photo, leaving only the object I outlined.

I could do this in three seconds in PSP but I'd like to learn these two XARA programs.

The temptation to use PSP to do it, is great but I already know PSP. I wonder how many people in the entire world know all of X5 or X4? What I am saying is I believe the program is capable of doing absolutely amazing things. The more I look at it the more complex it is. I'm not complaining. It is an amazing program and the time spent learning it will be time well spent.

If you can answer my question about the cut out, I will greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks
    Randy

Default Re: How to cut out (freehand) parts of photo

I think in the video Egg uses the Shape Editor Tool [F4]. After tracing the cow and joining the start/finish nodes you will get a black shape, select this and the original image and Arrange >> Combine shapes >> Intersect Shapes [Ctrl3]. The process is non-destructive so you can adjust the lines and nodes if needs be and restore the original from the bitmap gallery.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

You could use the freehand pen - but shape editor tool is better for this job [and it is it's main use for me - as I draw freehand so for that I use the other tool] - you get better control with the shape editor for precise cutting out, it does take a bit of practice

Quote Originally Posted by rsrandy View Post

I could do this in three seconds in PSP
    three seconds...- precise in every detail? .. gosh, any chance of a video
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Here's Egg's video:

Also here's a chap using the freehand tool to do the same thing.

Hi Steve

Never seen Jim's video before

It has to be said that, whereas he does the initial blocking out with the freehand tool, he then fits it to shape with the shape editor tool which is the major part of the work [you could use any pen for a rough straight line mask I would have thought ]
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    you could use any pen for a rough straight line mask I would have thought
    ...and he has

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Here is a static step by step of Egg's method, Xtreme 5's masking layer can also be used in the same way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cut out.png 
Views:	313 
Size:	465.7 KB 
ID:	64706  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    ...and he has
    yes indeed - but did the actual work [bearing in mind this is a kindergarten example] with the shape editor tool that is the point - he did not use the freehand tool alone so why bother? - why not just use the shape editor tool from the word go? - you have watched it haven't you?

unless you are using the freehand tool to trace freehand round the shape you are not really 'using' the freehand tool at all, that part of the operation is just preparation
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes of course I watched it.. However I'm not interested in debating or arguing about how Jim qualifies his workflow and techniques. If you are, then I guess you should contact Jim?

An additional video if it helps.