Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: biz card

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

I think this is the right place to post it - my new biz card I intend to send to existing customers in a larger format (800 x 600 for improved legibility). I've developed it after moving to Spain this year...

The Spanish 'peninsula' and the islands are just outlines with a simple pressure profile, the dark red color of the background and headline had been picked from the men's shirt, and the font color is a harmonic color out of a color set based on the red (the jpeg distorts it a bit).

I tried to get across the message that Spain is a perfect, challenging and stimulating environment for a design studio, so I've added some of my designs in the bottom row.

What's your opinion: is it ok, would you even dare to read it after opening your mail, would you look at it more than once, even say: hey girls 'n guys, look at this - he moved! I wish I could be there! Or what pops into your mind?

The text needs some editing, but it's basicallly what I want to be in there.

Any comments are welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sacalobra-bizcard.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	12785  
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

I think this is the right place to post it - my new biz card I intend to send to existing customers in a larger format (800 x 600 for improved legibility). I've developed it after moving to Spain this year...

The Spanish 'peninsula' and the islands are just outlines with a simple pressure profile, the dark red color of the background and headline had been picked from the men's shirt, and the font color is a harmonic color out of a color set based on the red (the jpeg distorts it a bit).

I tried to get across the message that Spain is a perfect, challenging and stimulating environment for a design studio, so I've added some of my designs in the bottom row.

What's your opinion: is it ok, would you even dare to read it after opening your mail, would you look at it more than once, even say: hey girls 'n guys, look at this - he moved! I wish I could be there! Or what pops into your mind?

The text needs some editing, but it's basicallly what I want to be in there.

Any comments are welcome.
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Very handsome, Jens. And it is so very Spanish :-)

Gary

I think it's wonderful, it caught my eye and intrest!

great looking biz card!
    Mike
    see my photoblog http://kcmcomp.com

Very eye catching, Jens. I would definately want to read it.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Jens ...

I think the composition is fabulous ... you captured the essence of the subject well. It sure caught my eye.

The only thing that I would change (just my opinion/personal taste ... not a critique) would be to replace the phrase "open minded brains" with "free thinking". The duplicity of the root "mind" ... coupled with the word "brains" just didn't work for me. It may just be me ... or it may be an "American" thing. Anyway, I thought enough about your work to suggest it.

Great work ... as usual.

-Ed.

Thank you very much guys, that was the input I needed. Now I will edit the text and work Ed's suggestion into it, and then mail it.

It's interesting what you've associated with it:
    very Spanish, caught my eye and interest, great looking, eye catching, fabulous composition... that's exactly what I tried to achieve. In Europe every nose wants to spend a vacation in Spain because of the sun, beaches, sangria and easy going life style. However, what most people don't know is that Spain offers a lot more than just beaches and nightlife. It's a high tech country, an architectural melting pot, and an art center.

I'm well aware that it serves as a promotional piece for Spain as well - but for a different one than the people carry in their minds.

I'm living on the largest of the mediterranean islands, and currently I'm working on a sign/logo for my new web site: just the name, the shore line of the island with a pressure profile, the dot of the 'i' showing the location of Sa Calobra - a single house at the end of an endlessly winding tiny road (more a path) through the 5000 feet high mountains on a 60 x 60 miles island.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sacalobra-studios-web01.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	12985  
    --------------------//--
    --------------------//--

Like the whole style of the biz. card especially the red against black of the map of Spain and the complimentary font colour but why not include more icons of design that Spain is noted for.

Seeing the suspension bridge makes me think more of Portugal where this type of bridge was developed, where are the examples of Barcelona's architecture or Bilbao's museum or even or even Seville's courtyards which were influenced by the Moors (spelling?).

I could go on giving more icons of great Spanish design icons but you get the jist of it don't just put the modern design just along the bottom because I love the way that Spain manages to mix the old with the new and in most cases modern architecture lives in harmony with the old. It is one reason why I love visiting Spanish cities especially Barcelona and Seville.
    Design is thinking made visual.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Like the whole style of the biz. card especially the red against black of the map of Spain and the complimentary font colour but why not include more icons of design that Spain is noted for. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To avoid clutter: the space is limited to 800 x 600 as I said, so it's better to see some detail than fly shit. Imagine the icons half the size - you wouldn't be able to spot any detail...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Seeing the suspension bridge makes me think more of Portugal where this type of bridge was developed, where are the examples of Barcelona's architecture or Bilbao's museum or even or even Seville's courtyards which were influenced by the Moors (spelling?). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't have the time to set up shootings for these, especially the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao. Did you know that the architect is **not** from Spain? In addition I think the pic of the Prado in Granada shows more history than anything else.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I could go on giving more icons of great Spanish design icons but you get the jist of it don't just put the modern design just along the bottom because I love the way that Spain manages to mix the old with the new and in most cases modern architecture lives in harmony with the old. It is one reason why I love visiting Spanish cities especially Barcelona and Seville. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooooops, when you've been in Sevilla you should know the bridge! It's the most famous new building in Sevilla. And don't forget: I didn't want to develop a promotional piece for Spain, but my service as well, so my 'modern design' must be right there: at the bottom. It's now part of the Spanish culture. If I wouldn't include my own work, why should I spend the time and effort for this biz card? Last but not least: the row with my designs is aligned to the name and address - just cut off the top part and you have everything you need.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Good design is a lot of hair pulling <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed. But good design is the focus on a few meaningful elements that tranport the message.

Less is more in the sense of impact.

You remember the rule for billboard design? Seven elements max. But the best ones to trigger a response have been those with 3 elements.
    --------------------//--
    --------------------//--