Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    I've just started to browse the new-look forums. Mostly I like what I see, but one thing means I probably won't spend much time in here in the future: I can't follow a topic - no threads!!

If I reply to a message, I want to see the reply and the message it applies to, and the reply to the reply etc.

Am I missing something obvious, or does this new system not display message threads?

If not then bye bye, was nice while it lasted...

Stu.

I've just started to browse the new-look forums. Mostly I like what I see, but one thing means I probably won't spend much time in here in the future: I can't follow a topic - no threads!!

If I reply to a message, I want to see the reply and the message it applies to, and the reply to the reply etc.

Am I missing something obvious, or does this new system not display message threads?

If not then bye bye, was nice while it lasted...

Stu.

Hello Stu

Chris, who has just recently put the new conference software in place, has been listening to the comments, most of which concern tree structure and threads, and is working to find a solution.

I'd suggest you hang in for a while with eveyone else and tough it out until the confernce software has been tweaked to everyone's fancy.

If you are too impatient and decide to move on, we'll understand. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...

What saddens me is the absence of the previous
    threads. Or are they still available?

Jon

Jon
    Jon

The "old old" threads were lost when the system died a few months back, but the "new old" threads (from the last couple of months) are still online - at http://forums.i-us.com/Forums/Main.cfm?CFApp=115

Daniel [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thanks Gary for the info, I'm glad it is still possible for things to be "tweaked" instead of being set in stone. I would guess adding the functionality of threading to what already seems polished (if not lacking!) software is no simple task, but I look forward to proper conversations in the near future...

Stu. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

The tree structure is something that a number of people miss, including me. When you reply, however, the whole thread is available to scroll through below the reply. This could be useful if you want to reply to more than one previous posting or extremely tiresome if the thread is very long, such as the old 'Wish list for Xara 3' which was about 150 postings. I'm going to reserve my judgement on these things until I've got a few more posts under my belt.

At the moment, my least favourite aspect of the new conferences is separating X and CorelXARA. This seems to have no more merit than having a separate conference for Xara Studio and will result in duplicated replies and postings of the sort: "See my reply in the other conference..."

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

Is there any way to "subscribe" or filter the list of forums? As more conferences come on line, I have to do more scrolling to get to Xara. It's nice to know the others are available should I need them, but I don't want to have to weed through the list every time I come in.

I freely admit I'm a Xara chauvinist (so perhaps that's coloring my perception [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]), but I'm afraid we won't be able to see the trees for the forest (assuming we ever get the trees [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]).

There's no sub feature yet, but you can go directly to any conference. For example, to go right to the Xara conferences, go to:

http://i-us.infopop.net/1/OpenTopic?...178&f=52419488

Myself, I usually click on the link that shows me new posts since my last visit, then I right-click in IE to open a new window to view the interesting ones.

<blockquote>
    <font color=green>Chris Dickman</font>
    http://www.i-us.com/images/sig.gif
    </blockquote>

If you're using IE, it's easier to hold down SHIFT and click on the links, that way there's no fussing with the right button menu, and your topics open in new windows.

Thought I'd share that in case someone didn't know; we Xara users all love keyboard shortcuts and tweaks [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]