Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Placing my request for the next version of Extreme

I understand that Xara is not a $1000 program but it is BAD BAD BAD that I have to export to Microsoft Paint (free) or Irfan (free) to do some of the most important things that I frequently do.

Here are some things that free programs have that Xara does not have, and should:

1. A working function to select the transparent "color" when saving a GIF. Xara appears to have one, but either I can't figure it out or it doesn't work, and I think it doesn't work. It certainly doesn't work as well as Irfan's, which I use frequently -- including in Xara jobs.

2. A working crop function like Irfan has. I use this more than anything. Even Paint's ability to bring the borders in, thus cropping the image, would be an improvement. But what Xara needs is a button that says "I want to draw a rectangle and crop everything outside of it."

3. An eraser like Paint has. I can't believe that there isn't a really good eraser in Xara. What, nobody ever has to erase anything?

Thank you for your kind attention. I will expect these improvements, thank you.

DW
    IP

Default Re: Placing my request for the next version of Extreme

2: Draw a shape [rectangle, circle, freehand, whatever] and position it over the image as required , select both, Arrange >> Combine Shapes >> Intersect Shapes

PS This is non-destructive if the image is a bitmap. The original image is in the bitmap gallery and you can use the fill tool to reposition the image within the shape.
    Last edited by zaphodeist; 08 August 2009 at 12:46 AM. Reason: extra info
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64
    IP

Your item #1. You can select additional colours to be transparent in an exported gif file in the Export Dialog. See attached images.

The first image shows a simple collection of objects that are selected over a black rectangle and the Export dialog for .gif file type. The antialiasing for the shapes to black are so they can be used over a black background. In a normal export to .gif the black is automatically the 'transparent colour'. To add an additional colour select it in the palette shown in the export dialog and click the make selected color transparent button. You can do this one by one to add additonal colours.

The second image the the normal exported .gif.

The third is a .gif where 'yellow' was selected to also be transparent.

Your item #3. An eraser works with rasters (pixel matrix) they don't exist in Xtreme.

People that are familiar with raster editors are always asking for raster tools. Vectors are not an array (matix) if pixels so tools that work with pixels are not practical in a true (completely) vector application.

If you need to change something in a vector you simply edit it's nodes.

For those that want to muddy the issue by bringing up Illustrator or other apps that include an eraser, PLEASE DO NOT. Illy uses a raster matrix to provide that type of functionality. A resource hog that is not truely vector in nature and a waste of CPU cycles.

This is my personal thoughts on the subject and shows my frustration at those that either refuse to learn or comprehend vectors and how they function.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	select-added-trans-colour.gif 
Views:	126 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	64637  
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Soquili; 08 August 2009 at 01:28 AM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Why View Post
    2. A working crop function like Irfan has. I use this more than anything. Even Paint's ability to bring the borders in, thus cropping the image, would be an improvement. But what Xara needs is a button that says "I want to draw a rectangle and crop everything outside of it."
    Click on the camera icon ..... draw a rectangle to suit .... In version 5 it even auto crops when you release the mouse. It's non-destructive, i.e. it can be adjusted at any time, and even shows the "Rule of Thirds" Even irfanview isn't that easy.

Learn to use the tools before complaining about them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp.png 
Views:	117 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	64643  
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 08 August 2009 at 02:48 AM.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

I understand that Xara is not a $1000 program but it is BAD BAD BAD that I have to export to Microsoft Paint (free) or Irfan (free) to do some of the most important things that I frequently do.
    I think you are mistaken, Xtreme (not 'Extreme' as you've written it) is not a pixel based editor (as has been said over and over again at Talkgraphics!) and therefore you should not assume (or demand) it has the tools that a bitmap editor has.

Xtreme does allow you to select a bitmap editor to shell out to, make bitmap related edits and returns the result to Xtreme. (This is how plugins work too).

CorelDRAW works like this by shelling you out to CorelPhotoPaint (via the Launcher)

It certainly doesn't work as well as Irfan's, which I use frequently -- including in Xara jobs.
    Again, you are comparing apples to oranges.

It does - read the manual.

3. An eraser like Paint has. I can't believe that there isn't a really good eraser in Xara. What, nobody ever has to erase anything?
    It does, refer to Bill post and again, read the manual and learn how to remove unwanted areas when using a 'vector' illustration application.

I will expect these improvements, thank you.
    And with time, attention and the free help provided by the generous members of Talkgraphics, we expect improvements from you as you learn
    IP

...it is BAD BAD BAD that I have to export to Microsoft Paint (free) or Irfan (free) to do some of the most important things that I frequently do.
    So, do you want us to export it to Irfan for you?
    Here are some things that free programs have that Xara does not have, and should:
    Actually, there are many things that free programs have and Xtreme doesn't. For example, with VirtualDub you can edit movies and you can't do it with Xtreme.
    But these things you mention here are all present in Xtreme.
    1. A working function to select the transparent "color" when saving a GIF. Xara appears to have one,
    Yes it has one and it works well.
    but either I can't figure it out or it doesn't work,
    It works well for me and many others so it's a first option - you can't figure it out.
    and I think it doesn't work.
    You are wrong.
    It certainly doesn't work as well as Irfan's,
    How can selection of color from palette work better or worse? It ether sets transparent colors or not. With Xtreme you can do it visually, picking colors from palette or directly from the image.
    2. A working crop function like Irfan has.
    I don't know how it is implemented in Irfan, but in Xtreme you have at least 3 different ways you can do this. All not destructive and much more flexible.
    Even Paint's ability to bring the borders in, thus cropping the image, would be an improvement.
    Perhaps reading help would help? You can crop image in the way similar to raster editors using Photo tool. You can cut parts of the bitmap with boolean operations. Finally you can use a clip view. How does it compares to Paint's functionality?
    But what Xara needs is a button that says "I want to draw a rectangle and crop everything outside of it."
    Actually it has two such buttons. One is called Intersect shapes (shortcut: Ctrl+3) and another one is Apply clipview (shortcut: Q).
    With Xtreme5 you can also use masking feature.
    3. An eraser like Paint has.
    It has much more powerful tools to remove parts of the image. Actually all drawing tools may add or remove areas of the image in the same way.
    I can't believe that there isn't a really good eraser in Xara.
    As good as in Paint? The one that works without anti aliasing? No, we don't have such a "good" tool because... well, because we actually don't think it is good.
    What, nobody ever has to erase anything?
    Most of us, everytime do this. There are a lot of ways to remove parts of image. Depending on what you want to remove, you can use the most appropriate approach. For example, draw shape over the area you want to erase and use Ctrl+2 to remove it.
    Thank you for your kind attention.
    You are welcome.
    I will expect these improvements,
    Don't expect - learn to use them!
    Last edited by covoxer; 08 August 2009 at 08:37 AM.
    John.
    IP

What truly amazes me is the arrogance and ignorance of the OP. Bad-mouthing the product without being aware of its capabilities is bad enough for its own sake, but to do so at the possible detriment of the product in the eyes of other potential new users borders on stupidity. Given that the program is available as a free trial download which means the user is not subject to cost or risk, there is plenty of time to evaluate before deciding to buy it or not.
    It is patently obvious that dr. why has not read the help files in any detail, when simple features such as cropping with Xtreme remain a mystery, or indeed fully explored the tools and their functions.
    Nor has dr. why spent any time finding out about the forum and its friendly and helpful members. dr. why is obviously not aware that this is a forum populated by users of Xara's products and not its software developers, by expecting us to make the perceived improvements, which if dr. why had taken the time and trouble to investigate, would have found out for him(her)self, including posting this thread in the correct forum for improvements to Xara's products.
    Might I suggest that dr. why thinks long and hard about the original post and sees it for what it is, then makes an abject apology for the unfounded complaints. A period of self-flagellation is in order so that dr. why may return a contrite and more humble human being, better equipped to participate in the affairs here at talkgraphics.com.
    Bob.
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 08 August 2009 at 12:05 PM. Reason: typo
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

I think the points have been covered well

However I will add this:

Illustrator has an eraser
    Expression 3 [ CE ] has an eraser
    Inkscape current release candidate 0.47 has an eraser
    I am told, but cannot verify it that DrawPlus has an eraser

All the above are vector drawing programs and more or less cover the field with exception of Corel Draw, which I haven't used since version 8, and remember little about

There is more to a decent vector eraser tool than the raster angle of simply rubbing things out.. its all about speed and ease of use, and what suits you

I say this only for information, I am not saying anyone is wrong...

EDIT - Duff info: MS Expession does not have eraser, but then MS Expression has a lot of stuff missing for freehand drawing that was in the CE version - the point still is about speed and ease of use in workflow... close to everyones heart I think
    Last edited by handrawn; 08 August 2009 at 09:09 AM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Steve,

DrawplusX3 has an erasertool
    And a knifetool to cut out and make you select the part you want to keep or not
    And a freeformtool that let's you add to the object.
    And sorry Bill,it's not a cpu heavy tool
    Hans
    IP

MS Expression has a Slice [knife tool] and Scissors too
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP