Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Problem with setting links in Nav bar

Hi everyone,

I'm creating a small site for a customer, which contains 4 pages. I'm using the Finance template for this, with the colours edited and 2 of the buttons in the top navbar removed and the rest moved into a new position.

I was OK with three pages and links from one to the other. I've now added an extra page and all of my links point back to xara.com.

I've tried removing the offending nav bar and importing the button set back from the Finance template and adjusting them to suit, but I still have the same problem. I've checked that the links are set in both the mouseover and mouseoff layers, but the buttons still link to Xara, rather than to each other. Other methods of linking between the pages, such as stretch buttons and text links work fine.

Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong. I can post the .web file, but I'd rather not as it is confidential and I'll need to spend some time removing the content.

Thanks,

Mermaid

Default Re: Problem with setting links in Nav bar

If the file is not too large can you post it and let us look under the hood?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    If the file is not too large can you post it and let us look under the hood?
    Here is the offending file.

I had a feeling that this would be the only way to get to the bottom of this...

I might have solved the problem in the meantime (after 4 hours...). I needed to restart my PC as Web Designer wasn't able to re-generate one of the graphics because it was marked as being in use by another process (maybe I tried to load the file into my browser before it had been properly generated).

Since then, the links that I have set in the links dialog box are the ones that are being used in the file. I don't know why the restart should have helped, as I'd shut down and restarted Web Designer several times over the last couple of hours, but hey, at least it works...

I've attached the .web file in case this shows up anything I've done wrong. It looks much prettier with all the graphics and text - honestly! Once the customer has approved it I'll post a link to the live site here for people to see.

Thanks again,

Mermaid
    Attached Files Attached Files

OK: finally found a solution to the problem. I deleted the buttons that weren't behaving properly and copied and pasted in place buttons from pages where they were working as desired.

Voila! One set of buttons that behaves nicely.

Mermaid

Default Re: Problem with setting links in Nav bar HELP PLEASE

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
    Hi everyone,

all of my links point back to xara.com.

Thanks,

Mermaid
    I am having this same problem now. I have 5 buttons on the nav bar and three of them work and the other continue to link to xara.com. No matter what I try I can't get that link out. It does NOT show up in the link area but when I preview and click it goes to xara.com

I am also doing a small 6 page site for a client and really need to get this fixed. I have the site loaded in a temporary directory if someone could look at it and tell me what is wrong.
    http:/www.countrygreenonline.com/892010

Thanks
    Donna aka gramme

Can you post your .web file? Looking at the URL is not the best way to find errors in Web Designer

Remember that buttons with mouse-overs have two states. A link can be applied to both.

Thank you so much for your reply. I have found MY problem. I really thought there was a bug in the nav bar workings but I kept at it trying to make it work. What I had done was duplicate pages BEFORE I fixed the under layer links so when I viewed the page the home page worked fine but when I went to the other pages they didn't work because they were copied before the changes.

I am still trying to learn the publishing feature of this software with .web files and then exporting. I have found some tutorials online that have helped the xara.com movies don't' seem to show the new Web Designer 6 and I love video tutorial.

Thanks again for your response.
    Donna aka gramme