Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Paul Coker Jr. style

I have always been a fan of Paul Coker Jr., the MAD magazine cartoonist, and have been fascinated by his loose, pen and ink style. I tried to duplicate his style using XXP. Most of the lines are done with the Convex 2 stroke shape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coker.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	64462  

Default Re: Paul Coker Jr. style

very well done Zeb
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Mad magazine artists have always been of a very high standard over the years. Paul Coker Jr. is no exception. I agree with Steve, this is a great job, Zeb.
    A question that perhaps both of you could answer, do you find it difficult drawing out of your usual styles?
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

love it, great job

yes Bob I do - and I rarely do it these days

but just for you I gave it a go - I will not post it here as I do not wish to hijack Zebs thread and distract from his excellent work [besides it was not done in xtreme ]
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    A question that perhaps both of you could answer, do you find it difficult drawing out of your usual styles?
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Well, this wasn't so hard as it was basically a trace job, but I don't find trying out other styles so difficult. Well, let me qualify that, it's not difficult if the style is within the reach of my abilities. Some artwork is way beyond my skills and that's another story. But for cartooning and basic linework, it's not too hard. It seems that every 6 months or so, I get tired of how my artwork is turning out and I look around for fresh input and new ideas to try out or styles to mimic or learn from or incorporate into my own style.

My usual "style" is a mixture of what I picked up from various artists that I have admired, including Coker, Charles Schulz, Hank Ketcham, Mort Drucker, Bob Staake, Uderzo, and a few others. Then I mixed in my own ideas to the soup and the end result is how I draw today.

I don't know about you Zeb, but I find my style is evolving all the time - especially as I am now doing serious digital stuff, having got my head around 'digital painting' at long last

Everyone is a mixture
    Nothing lasts forever...

Your copy is just as good as the original. Love it and what Xara can do.
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

Thanks Zeb. It's interesting to have an insight into how others go about their work.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

I N V U!!! :-)