Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Publishing

Default Publishing

I tried several times republishing my website with some changes and it does not seem to publish the changes. I did the export, then publish and nothing changed. What are the proper steps?

Thanks,
    Sheila

Default Re: Publishing

Try exporting and publishing separately.
    Tap the export button, make sure the correct folder is selected, and your new files overwrite the old ones.
    Check your publishing information on the Publish tab.
    Publish the site, making sure you see the progress bar in the top right corner with the file update information.

Sheila

Do you mean that when you upload your changes to your web host that you do not see the changes in your browser?

If yes, try reloading (refreshing) the page.

Browsers frequently keep a copy of pages you have visited on your computer and display the cached page when you revisit the site. They do this because it makes the page load faster. But they don't automatically check to see if the page has been changed or updated.

Thank you for your help - everything is now working.
    Sheila

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin_AZ View Post
    Try exporting and publishing separately.
    Tap the export button, make sure the correct folder is selected, and your new files overwrite the old ones.
    Check your publishing information on the Publish tab.
    Publish the site, making sure you see the progress bar in the top right corner with the file update information.
    Merlin, I have an index_html_files and an index folder - which do I export the new web site to?

I published and uploaded the new web twice - clicking to export the new files when asked - but Startlogic does not show any of the new files on their server.

How can I bring up their web files like I can do in Filezilla and delete the old files before uploading?
    - jb

"A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes."
    www.brownpotters.com

jb,
    My website folders have an index_html_files folder (actually a home_htm_files folder since I named the index.htm as home.htm) and *.htm files only.
    There is no index folder.

You should be able to connect to the host server with Filezilla, using your domain, ID, and password, and see which files are there.
    Make sure you know which subfolder the website needs to be published to, since it might be different for different hosts.
    If you're not sure, contact them and they'll let you know.
    http://www.stierman.net/uploads/1.JPG
    Last edited by Merlin_AZ; 09 August 2009 at 12:48 AM.

Merlin, I completed the two page site with pop ups of 20 pages.

When I go to preview website, it looks and works perfectly.

I then exported it using export website. That gave me the following - a index_htm_files folder, an index.htm file and an index_2.htm file.

I then published the website. That now shows on the site with FileZilla - their root folder, under that my index_htm_files folder, public_html folder, stats folder, index.htm file, index_2.htm file. When I try to open site it comes up - no index.htm file.

Since all this should have loaded into the public.htm folder, I moved all of them there and what you see on the web site is not what I designed or what shows on preview.

The first page perfect. The second page should look like the first with the same heading but smaller and 20 thumbnails of each page under that.

Instead, as you can see, the header and the background is a mess as are several pages. The other pages are not in the order they are as built or as previewed and when you click on some thumbnails a different page than the thumbnail comes up.

None of this make sense - do you see any reason for this?

Site is- floridacommunitynews.com

Tks, jb
    Last edited by jeb; 09 August 2009 at 04:42 PM.
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

OK - I give - I have fooled with the above problem for a couple of hours last night and several this morning and it had been as described above.

And, yes - I had refreshed my browser many times during all this.

NOW I just pulled the site up and it works perfectly - almost.

All the pop ups work except for page 4 - it is coming up with the cover page of APRIL!! So another problem to track down - the thumbnail is correct, the pop up is of a page that has been deleted for several months now - Duh!!!

The site is- floridacommunitynews.com - forgot that from the other post - will go put it in.

Is it possible that it takes a long period of time for the host computer - StartLogic - to process the whole site? That might be why the April page is showing up even though I have deleted ALL files off the host computer before uploading the new site. - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

I agree with you, that you need to publish your site to the "public_html" folder to view the site.
    Use Filezilla and make sure your two *.htm files, and index_htm_files folder are in that folder, and nowhere else.
    Then go to your site, refresh the web page, and see if everything works.
    If not, use Filezilla and delete the *.htm files and the index_htm_files folder, and publish your site from inside Xara-- go to the Web Properties-Publish tab, and in the subfolder entry at the bottom, put in public_html, and it should work.
    Let us know.

By the way, pg. 4 is bringing up August for me.
    Why don't you just create the pages as part of a single .pdf file and link to that from your home page?
    I think it would be much easier for your readers to go from page to page that way.
    Last edited by Merlin_AZ; 09 August 2009 at 05:26 PM.

Hi Jeb,

It looks to me like png.22 is the offending file. If for some reason that file was not correctly overwritten then that might be the reason you're getting the wrong page 4. Pretty cool site btw.

If all the other files are correct then there's no reason why this one shouldn't be but I once had an upload error and 3 files didn't upload correctly and that showed up on my web page.

Perhaps it's something like that.

I might compare what I've uploaded to my host to what I've got on my local PC to see what's different. If it's only page 4 then it's that 22.png file I suspect.

Hope that helps a little,

Ed......:-)