Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Ghost text problem

Thanks Jim. On everything I have it shows just below and almost flush left of the graphic. The buttons were not moved but I'm guessing the placeholder tweaked the location of the menu mouseovers. But they only come up left on the tour pages not the others, at least on our view. After I rebuild with html only and if I can get enough time, I'll mess with the layers and see if that solves it. When I was first setting up the placeholder it kept showing the graphic far right and just below the background frame. Had to tweak the xy till it got in right spot. To tell the truth I never figured monitor size into the equation, just worried about browser diffs. Assumed it would be in proper place like it was with the html version. Too many quirks for a long time html designer to lock in on XWD yet. Real shame, I like many things in XWD but my backlog doesn't allow time for repeated fix, view, repair. We tried another graphic/conversion that works off our Photoshop files and layers called Sitegrinder. It showed promise but we already had Xara and Webstyle 4 when XWD came out so we figured we'd stick. But despite the excellent forum help here, we just don't have the time to experiment and keep asking for help from you generous people...especially while on deadline. Hope we can reciprocate with some knowledge in near future.

Just so you can see the diff, here's a screen grab off the page for correct location of the "click image" text:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ktour.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	64696

Moderated
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 10 August 2009 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Hotlinked image removed - attached to post

mludiker,
    Wow, big difference. I'm pretty sure the mouse-over buttons layer will show them in the wrong place, or relative to something different. I've moved navigation before and forgot to also move the mouse-over layer buttons and it looked just like that. Good luck, let me know if I can be of any more help.

Jim

Hi MLudiker,

Yes, I'm getting the mouseovers showing up on the left of the buttons on both Tour1 and Tour2. Also the text for the image is showing up part way into the star......

Strange, sure looks nice on the screen print.

Ed......:-)

Interesting that there is no difference in the menu buttons or mouse overs on any pages showing in the XWD including the tours 1 & 2. If I click on view mouse over, the buttons are exactly where they are supposed to be. If I slide the view quality to wire frame they are identical to the other pages. There is a lot going on with the tour script inside the placeholder so I think that may be the ultimate culprit. Every time I try to redo the tours page it automatically shoots the graphic to the right and just below the frame. It tweaks the layout and XWD automatically removes the js scripts in the header and one required just before the end </body> When that happens the preview has the menu working correctly. I then have to re-enter all the tour gallery items with notepad to get it to function properly.

I did notice, that on my online view, the mouseover buttons are tweaked to the left but overlap the up bottons by about a quarter inch. When the tour launches, the left side of the photos is just about where the right edge of the mouse over buttons come to. Although dimmed out and not showing while the tour is going it's like the mouse over buttons have moved to allow room for the photos. So It may be the backbox gallery script after all.

Have an additional question on this particular issue that someone might be able to answer.

Why would XWD automatically remove js script directives in the head and body sections while working in the site folder? Is there a special layer or tweak that allows the use of java in these sections without entering them with notepad after every publishing? or does XWD have certain java conversion conflicts? Just trying to cross all the i's and dot the t's debugging before scrapping the project.

mludiker,
    I have noticed on some of my webs that if you have an object on a layer set to repel text, it will repel on the mouse-off layer also. As an example, I have a placeholder on a layer that's a Google calendar and shows when a nav button is clicked. If the placeholder is set to repel text, it repels on the mouse-off layer before clicking. Found that out by accident when I couldn't figure out why something was in the wrong spot on the mouse-off layer. Maybe it's something like that?