Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Corel v10

Mike, this I know: Draw 7 remains the fastest version because Corel had just bought Xara at that time and they incorporated some of the Xara code into it. I did time trials against 3 through 6 at the time and I was astonished at the speed improvement. 8 and 9, of course, have additions that slow them down.

So it makes perfect sense that the same people who like Xara seem to have come to a screeching halt on the road from Draw 1 to 10 at milepost 7. I'm not one of those, since I use Draw as a page layout program and the pagination features introduced in 8 have become essential to what I do for a living. I'm simply using a lot more RAM than I was using three years ago.

As usual, I'll upgrade to 10 as soon as the first service pack comes out and I expect it will work fine with NT, the god of operating systems.
    IP

So Mike how are you a moderator in the Corel Draw forum if you don't like the program? I/Us use to be a useful resource for Corel Draw users to come and discuss things. Ever since it changed to the I/Us format from the old one (I forget what it was called back about 3 years ago) the quality of this forum has disintigrated in a Corel Bitch group. That's why so few people come here. If your bitching about the upgrades look at Adobe. How many weeks was it between Photoshop 5.5 and 6.0? Finally I certainly wouldn't use Xara for the work that I do (4 color printing, etc). So your statement about Xara being a better program is false.
    IP

Greg

I also wonder why you even bothe to host this forum if all you are going to do is bad mouth the software. If you were on the Beta Team you had plenty of opportunitites to contact Corel directly to voice you discontent with the program.

I agree with Mike we don't need Forums like this one which discourage Corel users but rather we need Forums that encourage Corel Users. Give it a rest...
    IP

Sorry Greg I ment to say I agree with your opinion and disagree with Mikes. I won't be back to this Forum. If you want to participate in a LIVE CorelDRAW Forum visit my web site to find out how. A great bunch of positive folks from around the world all helping each other with CorelDRAW.

http://www.squareonegraphics.com/onlineforum.html
    IP

Hi Ziggy, born in 52, me too, cool. I can dig what your saying, I make some cash with Draw 3 on an old 386 and an engraving plotter.

Hi Greg,
    >>So Mike how are you a moderator in the Corel Draw forum if you don't like the program?

I don't recall writing "I don't like the program", I said I felt ripped off when I see the price reduction and I said "software" I think that would apply to all of em. Bitchin? I read just about all the messages, I haven't seen anyone bitchin in this forum, so I don't know what your talking about. How am I a moderator, Well I was invited to co-moderate the freelance discussion when Corel net was alive, Chris put my name on the Draw discussion, maybe you should ask him. The truth is I still use draw 7 so I can't say anything about or beyond draw 7, thats one reason I haven't been very active in this forum. I have been looking at Photoshop 6 and comparing it to photo paint 7, I haven't seen anything I can't do with photopaint 7 that can be done with photoshop, but the results seem to be a bit better with photoshop 6 and it should be, I'm ready for a change.

Hey Corelman,

>>Sorry Greg I ment to say I agree with your opinion and disagree with Mikes.

Get it right dude, you could have edited your first message then you wouldn't have had to apologize. I don't host anything except parties when I have one, I have never Beta tested anything unless I made it.

So thanks Guys for answering my question, as far as I can tell the answer is Yes, Yes and Yes.

[This message was edited by Mike Bailey on November 08, 2000 at 09:57 PM.]
    IP

Whew, I can sure stir it up without any effort, so here is the message I am trying to get across, I need to improve my between the lines writing.

I have experienced the software upgrade chain of events more than once. Often times as is demonstrated in this thread not only the software but the operating system may need to be upgraded to run a new version, this could very well lead to upgrading an entire system. Its not a problem if you work for a company which needs to be as competitive as possible and has the resources to do so, If you are like me and don't have unlimited resources it could very well become an expensive endeavor you will not soon forget. There is also the compulsive got to have it software junkie bug which bites me on occasion, I have a vintage software collection which is worth peanuts but cost me several thousand dollars. As you can see in my above messages and I have said it before, I have learned to get my money's worth by sticking with a program until I feel it will really be worth the investment I have to make in order to upgrade, Be careful before you dive in.

Anyone else care to comment about the pros and cons and experiences of upgrading ?

[This message was edited by Mike Bailey on November 09, 2000 at 09:23 AM.]
    IP

"Hi Ziggy, born in 52, me too, cool."

You, me and Alfred E. Neuman.
    IP

Got the both of you...born in '51 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

The Fontman
    The Fontman
    "For those who fought for freedom...freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    IP

I have to comment here. NO forum should just be a "Corel's wonderful" forum and nothing else.

I'm here because I've been with Corel since Version 3 and I need to know if Corel 10 is the dog that Corel 6 was (that cost me a fortune in waste time). When Corel are short of cash they just shove the release out the door regardless. Then I suffer! I need to know how much of a dog Corel 10 is because I'm getting the suspicion that it's being rushed out (lack of reviews in the press is always a giveaway this close to launch date).

The reviews never warn you of the important stuff (like they took ALL the map clipart out of the "enlarged" clipart library when they went from Corel Draw 8 to Corel Draw 9) or that the program doesn't print separations properly any more (I think this was Corel 6) or that the program just crashes all the time (Corel 6 again!)

I'm also considering switching to Adobe Illustrator. I think Corel lost it some time ago to be honest and although it's a pain to have to learn something new from scratch I find Adobe's other software intuitive and pretty rock solid - even if they have been a bit enthusiastic on the upgrades for Photoshop recently.

Comments here will make me decide whether or not to stick with Corel for release 10 and I want to read what some call "bitching" just as much as I want to read praise.

Ian
    IP

After EXTENSIVE testing and use, I rate Corel v10 a solid 10! Awesome and worth every penny for the upgrade!

The Fontman
    http://www.thefontman.com
    The Fontman
    "For those who fought for freedom...freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    IP