Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default posting individual pages in xwd

I am trying to publish pages of my site so they come up directly as a folder extension. For instance, www.website.com/design. Since xara exports and publishes the entire site together and dumps all the files into one, how do you set it up to get pages viewable by the folder extension like above?

Default Re: posting individual pages in xwd

If I understand your question correctly, your visitors browser will look in www.website.com/design for an index.htm, index.html or default.htm or default.html file. If the browser finds one of these files it will automatically display this page.

So if you name your file when you export it index or default and append your choice of extension (htm or html) to the page title then as long as your files are uploaded to www.website.com/design then you should be home free.

The reason why there are two extensions: htm and html is previously, the Windows platform did not support four character extensions. So previously Mac files were htm and Windows html. This is not longer the case.

If for some reason there are two index files, one htm and the other html, the html file will be displayed.

Make and export one .xar file for the home page and one for each of the sub-folders, e.g. in this case 'design'. So on your site you will have an index.htm file ( with its 'index_htm_files' folder) and a folder named 'design' with its own index.htm (and its own 'index_htm_files' folder).
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

So previously Mac files were htm and Windows html.
    Other way around Gary, it was windows that had a 8.3 naming system, thus default.htm.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

that works, thanks. But the links that were created in the original xwd file do not because they are now looking for all those files in the "design" folder and they're not there. Do I need to copy all the website files to each folder everytime then?

Egg Of course.

Printpro - You need to have your files uploaded to the root directory.

If your root directory is /design then your files and folder need to be in this directory.

Can you post a screen shot (press Print Screen and paste into Web Designer as a Bitmap) of your FTP settings? It might help us determine where you are going amiss.

Also, have you checked with your ISP to see if they have any special instructions?

If I'm understanding your problem correctly this may help.

This is what you'll get when uploaded [page names can be individualized of course] - one .web file (exported to area designated by your site host, usually "public_html") for the main pages and one for 'designs' (exported to "public_html/designs")

To link from within main pages to those in the sub-folder use, for example, "designs/page2.htm"

EDIT Sorry, missed your post Gary :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	site_example_02.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	64180  
    Last edited by zaphodeist; 28 July 2009 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Gary posted before I did
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64