Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Further to pages includes

Taccom asks "Has anyone found a way in XWD to do a page include? I want to display a remote page inside my XWD page."

And Sledger answered that you can have any number of placeholders on an XWD page. Fair enough. But my question is Can you have a single placeholder but somehow in XWD programmatically control it's contents? I mean somehow display ContentA and then, with a hyperlink or something, change it to show ContentB. I guess what I'm after is the ability to target the Iframe source name but within the one placeholder.

Don't know if this makes sense. I suppose you could do something like this but with popup layers. Or maybe one could use PHP includes. Suggestions anyone?
    Phil Thompson

Default Re: Further to pages includes

Yes it can be done with one placeholder with an iframe which has the name attribute applied (<iframe name=myframe ). You're links then TARGET (open link in: ) that iframe name.

I have attached an example.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you both, philt for asking the question and Steve for giving the solution.
    Much appreciated.

amateur.

Thanks loads Sledger. Somehow I thought it would be more complicated – what with the Iframe being buried in the placeholder. I'll give it a go -- and thanks too for taking the time to post a .web example.
    Phil Thompson

Sledger, thanks again for your .web on displaying different pages in one placeholder. I see that the placeholder contains the Iframe and code to show the START page. Clear enough. But then I look at the links for the other pages – Talkgraphics &c. and I see just a simple link. How does WD 'know' to display these in the placeholder? Clearly it all works fine, but how?

Secondly, maybe you could comment on today's post re the same subject where the use of layers to accomplish this sort of thing is discussed. Seems to me that if you are trying to a master page sort of thing, the Iframe approach would be best?

Thanks
    Phil Thompson

I see that the placeholder contains the Iframe and code to show the START page. Clear enough. But then I look at the links for the other pages – Talkgraphics &c. and I see just a simple link. How does WD 'know' to display these in the placeholder? Clearly it all works fine, but how?
    Use the "Open link in" option on the Link tab.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iframedestwindow.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	64211  

Quote Originally Posted by philt View Post
    I look at the links for the other pages – Talkgraphics &c. and I see just a simple link. How does WD 'know' to display these in the placeholder? Clearly it all works fine, but how?
    All explained in post #2 Phil
    And visually by Scott above.

I believe the major search engines consider using frames a bit of a negative to rankings. I could be wrong, but if you want to attract more visitors it should be looked into.

Just my 2 cents.
    Robobugs
    "Always be smarter than the people who hire you."

SEO is off topic in this thread.