Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Bitmap Files with Adobe Photoshop

All of a sudden I cannot open certain bitmap images with Adobe Photoshop 6.
    These bmps are from mpeg files using a snapshot feature. Regular bmps do open properly in Photoshop.The snapshot bmps open in all other viewer software. When I try to open the snaphsots in Photoshop I get an error message which reads: File format module cannot parse the file. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.
    Carl Enger, Boca Raton,Florida

Default Re: Bitmap Files with Adobe Photoshop

Hi welcome to TG

Would help to know what 'snapshot feature' was used. and what file type the bitmaps are

Were you able to open these before and now cannot, or never?

When you say it opens with other viewers - which ones?

Sounds like it might be a Photoshop 6 problem - I have that program - if you can post up one of the bitmap files in question, I can check it out
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Steve: Sorry for the delay in answering. These are 7 mb(1920x1080i) bmps which have been taken as frames from a mpeg video by using the AVS4You converter software using their Snapshot feature which saves them to a folder. These bmps were accepted by Photoshop6 until about a week ago. They are accepted by all viewers and other programs with no problem. It does sound like a Photoshop problem. I have looked around but have not found any settings for this. It appears that the uncompressed image file is too large for ordinary e-mail. Thanks for any ideas you might have.

Regards, Carl E.

Hi Carl

Think you need to check your system out - it sounds like your photoshop file format module/s may be corrupted

If you browse the adobe knowledge base there may be info there, though PS6 is a bit long in the tooth now - may be simpler to uninstall - reinstall the program

first though, make sure your system is virus and malware free - if the files are corrupted there will be a reason, though it may just be a glitch of course

be worth testing your hard drive and memory too just in case
    Last edited by handrawn; 28 July 2009 at 09:03 AM. Reason: uninstall - reinstall
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...