Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default tool for browsing usual vector files - any tips?

hello,
    I am looking for a tool that shows me thumbnails of all (most) of my hard disk saved vector images. I have a large collecting over the years, but found no tool to browse it fast.

the usual programs like ACDSee can only handle the usual formats for bitmap images, the ST Thumbnail Explorer would be great, but all version are crashing on my system and work very instable.

so I ask you, if you have any experience with a tool/file browser, that is fast and stable with Vista and shows a thumbnail preview of .eps, .ai, .pdf and maybe .svg too.

could you recommend any software, not matter if commercial or free?

thanks a lot

Holger

Default Re: tool for browsing usual vector files - any tips?

Hi Holger,

I don't know of a utility for viewing thumbnails of .ai or .eps files. They are actually text. Open one with notepad or wordpad.

All .eps and .ai files are not created equally. Some created in Adobe Illustrator will contain an embedded thumbnail raster image, some will not.

Corel Draw created .eps and .ai files usually do not have an embedded thumbnail.

Photoshop created .eps and .ai files are actually raster images with an .eps wrapper around them.

As you may see if you take a detailed inspection of the attached, are Corel specific "commands" within the eps file.

The .ai (older versions), .ps, and .eps are actually text commands to control printers that support either Post Script or Encapsulated (sometimes referred to as Enhanced) Post Script.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eps-in-wordpad.gif 
Views:	199 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	64048  
    Last edited by Soquili; 24 July 2009 at 02:02 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

For comparison with the above Corel Draw created .eps, the attached image shows an .eps file created with Adobe Illustrator.

Notice the file has some Adobe specific "commands".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eps-in-work-illy.gif 
Views:	194 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	64049  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

NOTE:
    Newer versions of Adobe Illustrator, I think since CS version, will save as .pdf rather than a true .ai or .eps file; unless you select to save as an older Illustrator version.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thank you.
    If I would not know ST Thumbnail Explorer, I would think, that there are no such file browsing tools, showing thumbnails previews of ai and eps.
    but it does. (maybe only not stable on my system.).
    so I thought, that there are hundreds of similar tools out there an I am the only one that don't know them...

If I recall correctly, XnView allows you to browse AI files. It's freeware. The formats it says it can show are listed here http://www.xnview.com/en/formats.html#legend.

IrfanView also, but as with XnView, GhostScript is required to be installed.