Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I see what you mean...Bob's pens and all. I was a teacher (elem. school) for a bunch of years and I learn best like the kids do!!

lol.

thanks again.
    IP

HA! I did it! I figured out what the problem is and why the variable was not getting passed back to the main timeline in level0.

I set the variable in frame 1 of the main timeline to selection = "new" so that the entire movie would have some reference of it when it was changed on the button click. I'm guessing that the movie just left the value in the movie clip since the variable wasn't established before!!

YEAH!! THanks again DEEP!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    IP

i see what you're saying - you didn't reference the right variable. as it is, you created two variables (since you've figured this out already, this is mainly for others reading this thread). you basically had:

_level0.selection

and

_level0.movieclip1.selection

so when you were trying to read the variables, it was reading the first one, which was set once in frame one of the movie, and then never touched again...d-oh! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

glad to hear you got it working.

hth,
    Deep (just a guy)

<pre><font face="courier" size="2">,-----------------------------.

| Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math |

| Graphic/Multimedia Designer |

| ICQ#: 39102360 |

| Medius Communications, Inc. |

| http://www.medius.com |

`-----------------------------'</font></pre>
    Moderator - i/us Flash Forum
    hth,
    Deep (just a guy)
    --
    Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math
    CTO