Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default This is odd... and a bit frustrating

I'm using Vista with 3 megs of memory. Pro5 chokes on almost every action, from nudging a small 4 line paragraph, to zooming in and out.... and more. I'm always staring at the small 'busy' circle from 2 to 6 seconds on almost every action I take.

My task manager is showing only 2% CPU usage with Pro5 and my browser open... so I believe it's not my system that's at fault.

I've un and re installed a couple of times with no luck. Here's a couple of shots of my settings in Pro5. I believe that these are probably the only ones that might affect its performance...... ? I've emptied the cache and left the default size of 4 alone. (Maybe I need to raise it) And in the 'tune-ups' tab I've cut my 'undo size' in half. No luck.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Cliff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	349 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	63917   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.png 
Views:	351 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	63918  

Default Re: This is odd... and a bit frustrating

Quote Originally Posted by cmpan1 View Post
    I'm using Vista with 3 megs of memory.
    I'm guessing your mean 3GB of memory (RAM) ?

Quote Originally Posted by cmpan1 View Post
    My task manager is showing only 2% CPU usage with Pro5 and my browser open... so I believe it's not my system that's at fault.
    Well - it's doesn't happen for me and many others, so it's clearly something with your system that Xtreme doesn't like at the moment.

You shouldn't need to touch any of those settings either. Leave them at the Xara set defaults.

Laggy responses to on screen actions suggest the system resources are low and playing catch-up.

Which security suite are you running? How often is it doing a background scan?
    Do you have Google Desktop search installed?
    Is Vista Indexing still enabled?

Lot's of things to look at. Very hard to nail them on a forum.

yup..... 3 GB

Thanks Sledger, I'll check those suggestions out.

I'm using COMODO security suite. Only scanning when I choose to.

Hi cpman1,

Do you get these problems with a particular document or with any document?

If you start a new document and draw a simple circle, can you nudge that without seeing the busy cursor?

Phil

What processor do you have?

I'd guess an i7 by the fact you have 3Gb (1GB on each of the 3 channels).

If this is the case some other users have reported similar problems with a work-around (http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...ocessor&page=2).

Thanks for replying.... sorry been away from the puter a couple of days...

Luke.Hart:
    Since I don't know what "i7" is I've gave you a screen shot.

PhilM:
    As far as the nudging, I'm ok if I draw objects... they nudge ok. But I found out it happens in certain paragraphs or objects that I've fiddled a lot with as far as changing various formatting. If I retype the paragraph it will work fine. It also happens when 'selecting' a bunch of items on a page.

I have really tweaked Vista to it's minimum graphics display and in Xtreme I've change the "set quality view" down a notch and it seems a bit better. (I had it set to the highest quality. So I'll be able to see how it turns out as I work in Xtreme for an hour or two.

Thanks guys

Cliff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CPU.png 
Views:	248 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	64023  

To find out what is eating your performance use the taskmanager and have a look at the tasks running on your machine and which one is consuming CPU-power or producing lots of page-faults.

After you found the programm-name use google to find out what it stands for,
    could be everything including networkprogramms.

In XP the taskmanager was started with ctrl-alt-del, I guess Vista is the same.

Good luck,
    Jan van Leeuwen

Hi cpman1,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately it doesn't help us give you a conclusive answer. Your CPU could potentially cause the stuttering/slowdown problems in Xtreme mentioned in this thread [http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...cessor&page=2] but we're not yet sure of the extent of this problem. (It's possible that the problem is more pronounced on Vista64.) If you haven't already done so, please try limiting the number of threads that Xtreme will use by editing the registry.

On the other hand, what you say hints that the problem might be related to the complexity of the document. Xtreme is designed to cope with very complex documents but it's possible you've found a combination of elements that causes a particular problem. Can you post an example in the forum for us to examine?

Phil

I don't know if this applies, but if you have the name gallery open it really slows things down on large docs.
    John