Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Grouping objects with bevels

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I find that converting the lines to shapes, then welding (add-shapes) before adding the bevel, causes no dramas.
    No dramas, but handles the object differently. The beveled Lines look smoother/better. BTW- Your solution of grouping the group works with this anomaly, too. (post 14 of the thread linked in post 5 here)

Any of you programming types out there know why they would let a situation like this pass? ...I mean, after all, they created the info box, so they knew this could/would happen....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture 1.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	63961   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture 2.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	63962  

Last edited by Zupdude; 22 July 2009 at 09:20 PM.
    What's the difference between an Orange? A motorcycle, because a telephone pole doesn't have any doors!

After converting lines to shapes and welding (add-shapes) Rick, just change to line gallery to 'Mitre Joins' and this will change how the beveled result looks for you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	changetomitrejoin.png 
Views:	298 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	63963

Right, you are Steve... Thanks. That will come in handy some time. I still think the "Line" version looks a bit better, though. ...at least with my fiddling...
    What's the difference between an Orange? A motorcycle, because a telephone pole doesn't have any doors!

ss-kalm,

I tried to reproduce on my end and can't make it happen, even with your file.

questions (since you are obviously good at getting nice smooth styled curves):

How do you get them to be so smooth? Are you doing these freehand and then editing or using the shape editor tool?

If I try to trace over one of your curves, then apply a stroke to it, I wind up with one end that is way too fat and the other end disappears into oblivion - this is only made worse with the inner bevel that is needed to get that point running up the middle of the line/shape. How do you control the "taper" so well?

The spirals were made with Dmitry's (Access Denied) SPXE programme, (which is absolutely invaluable to Xara users) using the Exponential spiral feature. The stroke shape "Iron" was applied thickness adjusted to 16pt then the spiral resized to suit - then the whole thing was bevelled. Note: It usually ended up thickened the wrong way round, so the path was reversed in the shape editor.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I think this might be a consequence of a grouped collection of lines rather than applying the bevel to a shape?
    Actually Steve, I think the group was the problem, not the line. Unbevelling and ungrouping the lines and then "welding" (adding shapes) instead of grouping, seems to have cured the problem. Stupidly enough, never thought of adding them to keep them together, just automatically grouped them.

That being said, I still consider this a bug. I'm using the latest version (the CD's arrived yesterday) and the problem still exists on opening this file on either my desktop or laptop. Both are running XP SP3.
    Keith
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm
    The spirals were made with Dmitry's (Access Denied) SPXE programme, (which is absolutely invaluable to Xara users) using the Exponential spiral feature.
    This is new to me. I did a little digging and found the free downloadable SPX-E at Xaraxone.com.

Sorry ... mean't to add the URL but had to get back to work before I could dig it out.
    Dmitry's site is http://xaraxtv.at.tut.by/ go to the download page - there are a couple of gems there, written specially for Xara.
    Keith

Thanks a ton for that reference.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    That being said, I still consider this a bug. I'm using the latest version (the CD's arrived yesterday) and the problem still exists on opening this file on either my desktop or laptop. Both are running XP SP3.
    I had reported this bug to Xara Support before. I told them that it had been fixed in the last build, but apparently it hasn't. Maybe it should be reported again so they know it's still happening. Also, it'd be a good idea to send Xara this file - I know when I reported it, they had trouble reproducing the bug.