Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: not square fill

I'm trying to make a background for a picture,,,

So... Now I do not have a square area. The output pic is going to be 10x13 printed on 13X19 paper so I do not have to worry about printer margins. The frame is 11X14.

But I want to create a rectangle about 1 inch larger than pic and fill with a color that fades to white (at edges) so I do not have to place a mat over it.

But the only fill options are square, which my rectangle will NOT be and the others options which I cannot figure out how to use for this app.

I tried making 1/2 size so I could just clone and place side to side but still this is not a true square so it didn't work. BTW: I'm still having problems changing the auto dupe/clone offset to 0 (zero). I tried many times but cannot get it to work in CD11. I am successful in CD9. Unfortunatly I'm using CD11 on this project.

Well, I hope I've described my problem(s) properly. I really could use some help on this.

If anyone has a solution today 4/10 please check out my profile and send me a notification manually. Thank you so much! I need to print this today.
    IP

I'm trying to make a background for a picture,,,

So... Now I do not have a square area. The output pic is going to be 10x13 printed on 13X19 paper so I do not have to worry about printer margins. The frame is 11X14.

But I want to create a rectangle about 1 inch larger than pic and fill with a color that fades to white (at edges) so I do not have to place a mat over it.

But the only fill options are square, which my rectangle will NOT be and the others options which I cannot figure out how to use for this app.

I tried making 1/2 size so I could just clone and place side to side but still this is not a true square so it didn't work. BTW: I'm still having problems changing the auto dupe/clone offset to 0 (zero). I tried many times but cannot get it to work in CD11. I am successful in CD9. Unfortunatly I'm using CD11 on this project.

Well, I hope I've described my problem(s) properly. I really could use some help on this.

If anyone has a solution today 4/10 please check out my profile and send me a notification manually. Thank you so much! I need to print this today.
    IP

I found one solution. I created a rectangle the size of the pic and one the size of the frame and used the blend tool. Works but wonder if this is the best solution. I had to up the steps of the blend to over 100 to make a smooth transition.

I run across this a lot when dealing with printer margins and I don't want the pic to have hard edges.
    IP

Turn it to bitmap and apply a vignette effect or gaussian blur the mask? More like a Photopaint solution and the file would be bigger. But it's a workaround.
    IP

WOW, what a good idea. I totally forgot about PhotoPaint. Thanks so much Grafixman.

Happy Easter
    IP

Too bad Draw does not have Xara's feathering capability. It would be a good idea to contract the mask inwards towards the shape before applying the feathering in Photopaint.
    If you are just going for a simple faded edge effect, I found a way of doing this completely in Draw. It basically consists of placing a white no-outline rectangle with a hole cut out in the middle the shape of your object on top of the original object. Then a white shadow is created to simulate a fade effect. Something like the heart in the back in the picture below:

http://home.pchome.com.tw/art/grafixman/vignette.jpg

The cdr file is here:

Take the file apart by ungrouping the objects and look at the drop shadow settings of the white rectangular object on top of the bigger heart.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

That's really cool! That is the effect I'm trying to get.
    I have one more request.... I checked out help first...
    Can the color of the drop shadow be changed from grey (gray) to a color of choice?

Thank you so much and Happy Easter!
    IP

It can. Click the interactive drop shadow icon so that the control line for positioning the shadow is visible. Drag a color of your choice to the little square box at the end of the control line.
    IP

http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif FANTASTIC!
    I love it. Thank you so very much.
    IP