Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default .WEB extension in XX Pro 5

In Xtreme Pro 4, there is an option to register the .web extension and then use it as a save option. The download of Xtreme Pro 5 threw an error telling me I was not qualified to register the .web extension. Now the CD version does not offer the option and I cannot save a web file with the .web extension. I can export into the .web extension but then I have to save my file as a .xar file. This is very inconvenient. Does anybody know what happened or is there a setting I cannot find?

As it stands, beyond the very cool new templates, I was better off in Designer. I have several web sites published using the Designer and would love to use XX Pro 5 to design my sites and graphics all in one tool. Not being able to easily distinguish between my graphics and full web sites at a glance is just plain annoying.

Default Re: .WEB extension in XX Pro 5

Xtreme's native save file type is .xar, but the option to export as .web has been around since 'Webstyle'.
    Now Xara Web Designer has claimed .web format as it's own native save file type.

Although you can register Xtreme as the default handler for both file types, I have never seen the .web file type available under the 'Save' dialog. Only Xara X (*.xar) or All Files (*.*) - it only appears under the 'Export...' option.

Registering as the default handler simply means that the program will open those types on your computer when you click on them in Windows Explorer.

You can change this by right-clicking a .web file go to Open With then Choose Program browse to:
    C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Xtreme Pro 5 and click on Xtreme.exe. MNake sure you place a tick in the 'Always open with this program' box.

FYI: The .xar and .web file format are identical internally. Only the extension letters differ.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    FYI: The .xar and .web file format are identical internally. Only the extension letters differ.
    Hmm, I was hoping that .web extensions would make it possible
    to exchange files from XXP5 to XWD5, by that I mean, that it would transfer
    plugin effects into bitmap (or something like that) because in XXP5 I can make use of plugins and other things that aren`t present in XWD5, I thought a .xar file would give a message that certain fonts and plugins aren`t there.
    And a .web file would transform all these into formats that XWD5 could handle. That would have been handy, to exchange webfiles with my brother
    who I have given XWD5.

Maybe an idea for the future?
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Quote Originally Posted by ankhor View Post
    Maybe an idea for the future?
    The future is here, exchanging files is possible - Web Designer CAN open .xar files created in Xtreme, even if your .xar files have plugins applied to images. I have opened many Xtreme .xar files in web designer, even highly complex files with LE's from version Xtreme 3.2
    Xtreme can also open files created in Web Designer.

The only messages I have got are the synthesized bold/italics.

Yes,

And if you want to reopen the file in either one,
    simply save as and put in * into the field,this way all the files are visible and you can save the file.
    (it throws an error message in webdesigner with no text but it saves the file)

Hans

Hans, drag and drop is easier.
    Just drag a .web file into Xtreme or a .xar file into Web Designer.
    (Drop onto title bar to open as, drag into window to open in current doc)

For opening,yes
    But if you want to save the xar,edited in xwd and want to save it back as xar
    you don't get the option to save as xar but as web.
    hence my way to put in * or all files and choose the xar file

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    The future is here, exchanging files is possible - Web Designer CAN open .xar files created in Xtreme, even if your .xar files have plugins applied to images. I have opened many Xtreme .xar files in web designer, even highly complex files with LE's from version Xtreme 3.2
    Xtreme can also open files created in Web Designer.

The only messages I have got are the synthesized bold/italics.
    Ah,that is good, when I tried to drag and drop pictures made in XX4
    they didn`t keep the plugin views, I assumed the same would happen
    if I would import a xar file, good to hear it doesn`t, I am happy.

Well I checked it, and it doesn`t work, it tells me that plugins are used that are not in XWD. I suspected that would happen in a xar file but I hoped
    that a web file would automatically alter these pluginnies in bitmaps.

Oh yeah I have version 5.01.7886DL(XWD5), there might be a newer version which resolves this maybe?

With xar's it goes wrong, and I tried .web, same message.

Oh yeah, the test.xar has chrome effect and when
    you import that in XWD5 you see the red square and
    not the chrome, I resolved that before by making a bitmap copy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	64493  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ankhor; 04 August 2009 at 08:29 PM.
    be aware, not to become a ware.

I get the same error message with your file ankhor, even though I do have EC Chrome installed. So I don't quite know what's happening there.

I've tested many of my saved files with plugins in XWD, every one of them works, even on another PC that does not have the plugin installed.

Try this one attached. I have used the Topaz Labs Simplify plugin.

No problems with this file even on another machine without Topaz installed (and it isn't an imported bitmap, check the bitmap gallery - it's not there).
    So I know it works, at least for me

The key (pun intented) is to 'lock' the Live Effect before saving.

I got the same error as Dennis until I noticed that Steve's file had 'locked' live effect.

Tested it on my test file.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update