Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Default Re: XXP5 discs being delivered

Got mine - don't really know when though...it went to my PO Box instead of my postal address. Nonetheless, I got it, installed it with no issues. It is a different versoin than the latest download. I wonder what changed between the two or if it just versioned because it is a seperate release.

Thumbs up Re: XXP5 discs being delivered

Yay! It finally arrived! I can't wait to go through this 430 plus page manual! (455 including the index)
    ~ DanDaBear ~
    Some people think inside the box, Some people think outside the box, I think about the box

Can Xara or anyone who has received the CD comment on what (if any) copy protection/DRM is present?

Is the same Magix CD-install-required annoyance still present as with X4? Or (worse), any kind of internet-required activation?

I haven't received my CD yet Bob, but yes Xtreme 5 requires activation over the internet the same as the DL version (same with Xara Web Designer)
    Three activations are permitted (on the same hardware) before you need to contact Xara to have it reset (with good reason)

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    yes Xtreme 5 requires activation over the internet the same as the DL version
    Oh dear. What a shame.

Good-bye, then.

good-bye? Seriously? wow...what, you'd rather have a dongle?

Lets face it, this should really only be a problem if you're pirating it ........
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Actually, he'd probably rather not have a dongle OR copy protection that makes more problems for people who laid out the money to buy it than people who do a quick google search and find a pirated version with the copy protection disabled.

But I can't say for sure, since I'm not him. I'm sure if you search this forum you'll find a week's worth of reading material with people fighting it out either way. All the information anyone could ever want pro or anti copy protection.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

Yeah, it's one of those things but only an idiot would cut off his nose to spite his face like that. If he can't understand why Xara/Magix need to do it, he's got a pretty self-centred view on life.

There is no 'need'. It doesn't even work to prevent piracy, as a quick search for Xtreme at the usual file-sharing sites will demonstrate.

But I'm not here to argue about the specifics of Magix's protection scheme, or produce a bunch of forum drama; there is no point in doing that. For me personally, any 'activation' requirement, whether a lenient one or one as explicitly restrictive as three installations is entirely unacceptable. I've enjoyed using Xtreme and its ancestors back as far as ArtWorks, but I do not choose to spend money on software I have to get permission to run. I've been bitten that way before and it's not happening again.

(You are welcome to delete my account for mentioning piracy now, if you like. I'll not be posting further.)
    Last edited by BobInce; 28 July 2009 at 09:58 AM. Reason: sp