Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taz

That's a great idea John!! Yup, I would do that if I were you, then every one's happy and not freaking out!! Who know's Glen, maybe they will hire you!!
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

"That's a great idea John!! " - Richard

Dang... even Richard said I did something right. This must be my lucky day.
    John/DOT

What must I have been thinking??
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>John: If you write to Warner Brothers, and have them take a look at the post, and the responses... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    --- ... And then if you are unlucky, some low level legal clerc might get overzealouz...

I'm sure they are not going to war for an image, which obviously isn't for commercial purposes, and which has only been seen by around 80 people.... I'm sure they have more important issues to attend to. I'm also sure that asking them for permission will result in a standard (and vague) email (after a couple of weeks) with a request to have it removed.

Just let it be! Let's just all read Ross' response again... Especially the part about "respect" (Even though I personally feel more concerned about little guys being hurt by posts like this, than multi-billion dollar corporations... ) and the tidbit that the forums are supported by Xara Ltd. (Who have moral and legal responsibilities for what goes on here.)

Glenn - I wouldn't lose sleep over this one if I were you. I'm confident that no SWAT team will be storming your house, anytime soon.

AS FOR THE ILLUSTRATION...

I think you did a great job with mixing standard shading techniques/gradients, and the bevel tool. It all comes to gether very nicely!

Had I known this simple image would spawn such a lengthy thread (oh, ok 12 responses) about the ethics of copyrighted material... (what was I thinking?), I would have kept it to myself...
    I do appreciate all the positive remarks as it encourages more exploration on my part to try to do better. My problem is that I can't come up with too much off the top of my head like the experts here (the really talented people) who either thru training or just having the "gift" can produce such marvelous images, I rely on having a 'subject' in front of me. Taz was there and looked like an easy start. I guess I was a little proud of how it turned out. Forgot all about the SWAT team... .
    So if WB is watching, my appologies.
    Th th th that's all folks!
    Glenn

(I won't get in trouble for saying that will I?)
    Glenn

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Glenn: Had I known this simple image would spawn such a lengthy thread... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    --- It's all good! People are looking, and learning from your technique - that can't be all bad... can it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Glenn: won't get in trouble for saying that will I? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    --- It depends...

I forgot to say that Ross goes mental if he doesn't get a good helping of spuds (potatoes) every day... Don't mess with the messed up...

Ooops, there on there way over to getcha' now Glenn!! You BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD BOY!!

On the other area of the post, you don't really think that all us 'gifted' folks get all our stuff from the top's of our heads, do you??

I do exercises to keep my imagination open and producing. I read comic books and since I'm a hair dresser by trade I look through fashion magazines all the time to give me more boosts too as well as studing nature and "people watching", I'm constantly stimulating my brain that fuels the imagination. We all derive our inspiration from different sources. Our imagination will take a bit from this bit of nature and bit that image and so on to create an image in our brain that may be very powerful and need to be sketched out or it may be a whimsey and go away and/or gets developed further untill it's "ripe", so to speak!

Many, many years ago I did a painting of Pan the Greek God, sitting on a tree root (shaped like a make shift thrown) with fairies and all sorts of stuff going on. I then decided to do a new painting featuring Pan and guess what? It's practically identical to the old painting with some improvements and some elements subtracted. I love it but was dumb-founded by the results. So I guess I inspired myself!! It's been an ongoing project to re-create it once again digitally. That will be finished when it's time to finish it, I suppose!

So if you think your a cheating by taking ideas from others images to create your own masterpiece, your not cheating, not at all, your creative imagination has simply taken images and done it's work by creating it's own image which will hopefully inspire you to make it happen on paper/canvas or digital paper/canvas. Now if your are purely taking others works and copying them verbatim and putting your name on them then I think eventually you will get in to some trouble one way or another.

Keep on creating and don't let any one stop you. Glance through all sorts of books, look at nature, study humans walking by at a cafe' or out to dinner or at the mall or what ever but keep watching and looking and studing, you WILL be inspired!!
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

Hi Glenn,

The best drawings are the ones that move you, the ones that evoke an emotional response in you. My best pieces are the ones that caused me to have a strong emotion either for or against.

I love my wife dearly and spent many ours drawing her. "I was surprised the picture came out as well as it did. Did i draw it from memory, or have her sit there modeling? No... I tooke a picture and used it as a guide. Looking and comparing, comparing and looking. Testing and experimenting until I got first one item then another to look right, to me.

So find something that moves you, and draw that. You will find the art better and much more rewarding.
    John/DOT

Hi Glenn,

What you're doing is how I learned how to draw. I copied existing cartoon characters. I learned how to draw them from memory too. I was able to do a bunch of them and it was usually just the head of the character. For me I was able to do this when I was in public school. I remember knowing how to draw (and still can) Bugs Bunny, Daffy, Garfield, Fred Flintstone, Barny Rubble all by memory. I don't remember how good they were to the real thing, but I do know they were good enough to impress friends and classmates.

But that's how you learn. When you copy existing cartoons you learn how to draw the eyes and the mouth. You learn how to draw different types of ears and feet. You begin to understand what makes one set of eyes different from another by how they're drawn.

And if you draw the same characters enough times, you'll be able to do them by memory. And that's all drawing is. Remembering what you did before and doing it again. But then you can mix and match all you know, making slight alterations to suit your needs.

You may like how a mouth is drawn on one character, but like the style of eyes on another. One character you may just like how the hands are drawn. You take all the parts you like best and learn how to draw them and use them. Over time your own drawings will evolve and your style will change. Eventually what once started as mixture of other peoples styles has become your own.

Well, that's my little story. So if you're reading this and you're one of those people who sometimes think, "wow, I wish I could draw like that." You now know with practice, you will.

As for the Taz drawing, you know it turned out good when people start talking about copyright infringement.

-Bob.
    •Bob