Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Topaz Plug-in

Default Re: Topaz Plug-in

I think I am just missing a step when I put the program in Xara I just dont know where I am going wrong.

Lightbulb Re: Topaz Plug-in

Pitch,

It's difficult to tell you what you may be doing wrong when we're not sure exactly what you're doing (or not doing). We'd really like to help you but you're being kind of vague with the details.

Several points:
    • The plug-ins must be compatible with Xara Xtreme
    • The plug-ins must reside in a folder somewhere on your hard drive.
    • You must know the location of this folder. (C:\Plugins\Topaz for example)
    • The plug-ins must be unzipped
    • If the plug-ins came with their own installer application you may have to install the plug-ins to a known folder on your hard drive first.
    • Xara Xtreme must be directed to use this folder, as previously mentioned, using the user configurable Options dialog (Utilities > Options > Effects & Plugins > Setup button > Add Folder).
    • You may have to exit Xara Xtreme and restart it once the plug-ins folder appears in the Effects & Plugins window after pointing it to the proper directory
    • If everything went well, you should be able to access your installed plug-ins via the Live Effect Tool (Ctrl+F5) and its associated drop down box.

I've probably missed something in the above list, but, hopefully, it will be enough to help you figure out what's not going correctly with your install.

Let us know how it goes,
    HayTay

Xtreme 5 looks for the Plug-in in the Xara Picture Editor > PS-plug-ins folder (C:/Program Files > Xara > Xara Xtreme 5).

So unzip your filters to this directory.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plug-ins.gif 
Views:	327 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	63486  

Pitch,

Just checking in to see how you're making out with getting the Topaz plug-ins to be accessible within your installation of Xara Xtreme vX.XX. Didn't want to leave you hangin' any more than you already are. Pop back in and let us know how it's going on your end. We'll eventually help you figure it out.

L8r,
    HayTay

I really like that Topaz Simplify plug in. Does it really produce the results shown on their website just by applying the filter to a picture? That looks way too easy and the results are great! Also, does it work in Xara?

I don't have Version 2 - but version 1 works fine in Xtreme 4 and Xtreme 5.
    I've applied for a trial key for version 2 to check it out. I should imagine it will be fine too.

Name:	topaz-simplify-1v.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	64284  

Got the trial key - downloaded and installed.
    Topaz Simplify 2 has an enhanced interface making it even simpler to simplfy

Works perfectly with Xtreme 5

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	topaz-simplify2.png 
Views:	358 
Size:	219.0 KB 
ID:	64286

To make the Topaz Plugins work in Xtreme, you have to unzip the Topaz files and use the installer.
    Install to it's default folder: C:\Program Files\Topaz Labs\Topaz (Adjust or Simplify) \Plugins.
    Open the plugins folder and copy the .8bf file(s).
    Close Xtreme if it is running.
    Now go to Xtreme 5's plugin folder: C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Xtreme Pro 5\Xara Picture Editor\PSplug-ins and paste the .8bf file(s) there.
    Open Xtreme and import a photo.
    Click the Live Effect Tool.
    Press the "New" button on the info bar and scroll down and click on Topaz Labs.
    All works fine. Follow this procedure in any other image editing program you may have.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

You don't need to copy the .8bf file anywhere Bob - just install Topaz as you have explained, but then simply point Xtreme's Options>>Effects & Plugins>>Photoshop Plugins [Setup] PS Plug-ins location setup to the folder C:\Program Files\Topaz Labs\Topaz Simplify 2\Plugins and then press OK.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	setup-plugins-.png 
Views:	281 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	64300

Note: There is no need to close Xtreme and re open it to have access to the plugin after following this procedure.

As it takes 2 Moderators/Admin to provide half a solution, I thought I'd be as comprehensive as I could.
    Attached is an extract from the How To Install .pdf. I saw no harm in a belt and bracers approach.
    If the OP has photoshop or similar and followed those instructions, then points Xara at the relevant plug-in folder, success should result.
    The most important point to put across is that Topaz zip file must be unzipped and the installer used to unpack the files to the Program Files folder.
    Saludos,
    Bob.

Name:	topaz.png 
Views:	253 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	64315  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.