Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Wuddaya think 'bout these?

Reminds me of some 'drawing with light' photography that was very popular about 35 years ago.

Back then the drawing was done with pen lights and usually involved a model. The drawing was done around the model with a very long exposure in a complete dark room. Once the 'drawing' movements were finished a flash was used to illuminate the model to complete the shot.

An example would be 'drawing' angel wings behind and a halo above the model. The flash makes the model visible as in a normal photo but the wings and halo would also be very visible in the image.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    OK, maybe no 'tripod' - but the rest is correct
    Steve,
    I would have bet $50 that I took these with my Olympus! But I just checked with the original files, and they are from the Nikon.... Ok, so I'll give you another point on my '5' scale. I gave 1/2 because the only thing I did in PS was resize and rename.

You are right though, these are digital photos.
    What's the difference between an Orange? A motorcycle, because a telephone pole doesn't have any doors!
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Reminds me of some 'drawing with light' photography that was very popular about 35 years ago.
    That's not really what was done here, but the effect is at least similar I believe.
    What's the difference between an Orange? A motorcycle, because a telephone pole doesn't have any doors!
    IP

So Steve really was more like 4 out of 5, lol I am not sure what he said but I'm sure it has something to do with slow or long exposure/shutter speed...probably in the dark. My attempts at photographing fireworks look kind of similar but nothing that ever looks this good.
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Burpee View Post
    So Steve really was more like 4 out of 5, lol I am not sure what he said but I'm sure it has something to do with slow or long exposure/shutter speed...probably in the dark. My attempts at photographing fireworks look kind of similar but nothing that ever looks this good.
    As is so often the case, I wasn't very clear in what I was trying to say. I didn't consider that others might think the pics were created with vectors. Since I knew it it was a photo, I thought (erroneously, it turns out) that everybody else would, too.

In steve's initial response, he asked what techniques I used to get the images. It was the weekend, so I thought I'd make a bit of a game of it. I was trying to get folks to guess what I did to get those pics, versus what kind of camera/settings I used. Anyway, it was the weekend, so this idea didn't generate the interest I thought it might (or maybe it was just a dumb idea).

In any event, here's the answer the throngs have been so anxiously awaiting:

A local botanical garden presents a Christmas display each year. The place is wrapped in about 800 Billion lights and they make about that many dollars in the deal, too. The images were created by setting the camera to a slow shutter speed, clicking the shutter button and wiggling the heck out of the camera while aiming at one of the displays. Of course the first one was an accident, but when I saw the preview, I thought I liked what I saw (those little screens aren't big enough for aging eyes), so I took a bunch more. I have a web page 80% completed with all the good examples of that night. When I finish and publish it, I'll post a link to it on this thread... Maybe Wednesday or so.

There you have it... Mystery solved!
    IP

A happy accident started it all....fascinating. You've ended up with some beautiful creations.
    IP

A unique method of existing light photography.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Yea... but they are cool shots none the less.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Zupdude View Post
    I have a web page 80% completed with all the good examples of that night. When I finish and publish it, I'll post a link to it on this thread... Maybe Wednesday or so.
    As Promised: Here ya go!
    IP

Hey Rick, that's an awesome display and some of those are outstanding. They make beautiful abstract images. Thanks for sharing.

I am having a bit of a problem with the site, though. The images are layered so sometimes the image I click shows up under the image that's already up. If you open a horizontal image, then open a vertical image and then another horizontal, you'll see what I mean. The image selected should always be promoted to the front.
    IP