Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Unhappy Vista and menu maker

Ok,
    I know this has posted before and I have researched the threads and tried all of the suggestions I have found on the fact that Menu Maker will not install on Vista... I have Home Premium.
    It runs the install to the very last step and with a full bar of completion on setup status it freezes right there and will not complete.
    ANYTHING else out there to alleviate this problem or am I beating the dead horse?
    Bman

Default Re: Vista and menu maker

Hi BMan.

If you have tried running as Administrator and it failed then you must have some application that is preventing the installation to complete.

Menu Maker installs and runs well on Vista Home Premium and Ultimate without problems.

Try disabling your antivirus software, anti-spyware, anti-adware, any applications you have that monitor the registry. There is an almost unlimited number of applications that could cause the problem. Many people are not aware of all the things being run when Windows starts up.

To get a list of startup applications click the Vista (start button) logo and click Run then type msconfig and hit enter. You should see the System Configuration dialog. Select the Startup tab. Any application you don't know what it does. You can temporarily disable it to see if it something you can do without or something you need.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sysconfig.gif 
Views:	339 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	63401  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

The attached in a screen grab showing Menu Maker running on my Vista Ultimate machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mm-interface.gif 
Views:	355 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	63402  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

The same issue was introduced in another Menu Maker thread.

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post
    Your login name and email address must match what you originally used when you registered? Reference: http://support.xara.com/index.php

Here is what I did to research the issue:
    • Pointed my browser to Xara.com.
    • Clicked the Support button at the top of the home page.
    • Clicked the Troubleshooter » Installing, downloading, and unlocking link. I noted, by the way, that the second paragraph states, "If you can't access your account, you will have the opportunity to contact customer support at the end of the troubleshooter."
    • Selected Xara Menu Maker from the list of software products, then clicked the Next button.
    • I selected Versioni 1.1, then clicked the Next button.
    • I clicked I wish to download the product, then clicked the Next button.
    • At the bottom of the sequential instructions, there is this option: "I've forgotten my sign in details."
    • The following information is displayed:
      If you need access to your XaraClub account, but can't remember your details, please try the following steps. If you are still unable to access you can contact Xara for assistance.

• Try to log in at http://www.club.xara.com/ with what you think your username and password is. Don't worry if you get it wrong, or if it takes a few guesses, it's okay to keep trying until you get it right.
      • Request a password hint from this page at the XaraClub website. Don't worry if you can't remember your username; you can also request a password if you know your account email address or one of your product serial numbers.

If you still can't remember your details, and you no longer have access to your account email address and thus can't receive a password reminder, then please contact customer support using the form below. Please enter as many details as possible to allow us deal with your query more efficiently.
      A Contact form is displayed.

Note that you can contact Xara Support by sending an email to support [@] Xara.com.

Also within Xara Online Support is the following article: Will Xara products work with Windows Vista?. There is an option that specifically deals with Menu Maker, which reads:
    Menu maker on Windows Vista
    Menu Maker must be installed from a CD and unlocked and initially run from an account with admin access. If you currently have the download version only, you will need to order the CD version. The program will not install from the download or from a non admin account, even wen selecting to run as admin.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 11 July 2009 at 08:30 PM.

Thank you Soquili,
    My Norton Protection must have been the culprit.
    It installed but what does this mean?:

While executing receiveArguments in WS4DwExCmdInsertMenu.htm
    the following JavaScript error(s) occurred:

ReferenceError: blank is not defined

I receive this error when I try to insert a menu in DW CS3.

Thank you,
    Bman

Hi BMan,

I'm not a user of Dreamweaver (nor am I a Xara employee) so I've never seen that error. However, it is probably because the extension that is installed by default does not support DW CS3.

Follow the instructions in the link to Xara Support article to obtain an updated extension http://support.xara.com/index.php?_m...&nav=0,454,460
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Question Re: Vista and menu maker

Quote Originally Posted by bmangraphix View Post
    Thank you Soquili,
    My Norton Protection must have been the culprit.
    It installed but what does this mean?:

While executing receiveArguments in WS4DwExCmdInsertMenu.htm
    the following JavaScript error(s) occurred:

ReferenceError: blank is not defined

I receive this error when I try to insert a menu in DW CS3.

Thank you,
    Bman
    I am getting the same error. Did you or anyone here experience this?

I am using Vista. I have NO problem running MM.
    I am also using Dreamweaver 8. I read Xara's support takes months. I am begging for help from you guys.

Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 24 August 2009 at 10:42 PM.

I get the same message with Webstyle 4 in Dreamweaver 8 when I click the Webstyle 4 Installed button. Also the menu for Webstyle 4 is greyed out.
    I got a reply from Zara but all they said is to reinstall everything. They do not seem to read messages or look at attached pics.
    I have searched my computer for the referenced file and it does not exist on my computer "WS4DwExCmdInsertMenu.htm" I am not certain if it is missing or not supposed to be on the computer.
    If anyone finds a fix for this please let me know.
    Thanks

Hello Bob,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

I do not know of forum members that are using Dreamweaver so I cannot give first hand information about the problem.

Dreamweaver 8 and Menu Maker were both created and released long before Vista existed with it's unique security features.

I would recommend uninstalling Dreamweaver 8, Menu Maker and the Dreamweaver extension.

When you reinstall the programs do not allow the autorun feature to work as it does not use the required Adminstrator access required to update the Vista registry correctly. You will need to use Windows Explorer and locate the installer for each program and right click it's icon and select Run as administrator from the popup menu. This will run the installers with the required security access for those older applications.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update