Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Rollup/RollDown Galleries

Big difference.

See the attachment below.

1- First of all you can "pre-position" the galleries strategically (as in within a slight mouse movement) and you can see where they are and not have to guess where the would popup when activated and do not take up much space.

2- Icons in Xara aren't that distinct; if Icon toolbar is at the top to the window its a longer reach and requires time to position the mouse on an small icon (poor ergonomics). If the Gallery Toolbar is floating it takes up space in additon to the galleries they trigger.

3- You don't have to remember a gazillion shortcut keys in your workflow.

Once you try out rollup dialogs, you'll appreciate them. If you want, download the free version of SketchUp from Google. Go to its Window menu, and open the various managers (galleries).

- You can stack them together in as many sets as you like.
    - You can unroll individuals while stacked,
    - adjust their widths (there is a minimum width though),
    - adjust their height (whether stacked or not),
    - and close and open them all at once and they will remember
    their last configuration (position and state).

=====================================

Oh, by the way, notice the Layer Bar docked at the top below the menu bar. You can change the Current (Active) layer without opening the Layer manager. Also, if you pre-select objects and then use the Layer Bar's downdrop list to pick a different layer, you MOVE the selected objects to that layer. Saves having open the Layer manager and scrolling through a long list of pages and layers as can be the case with Xara's Object Gallery. I think this and a Page Bar dropdown to select a page would also be very beneficially for Xara (sorry the additional suggestion without posting a new thread, Bill. It seemed to make more sense to post it here )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SU Rollups.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	63433  
    Last edited by jclements; 11 July 2009 at 04:37 PM.
    IP

I used the rollup/rolldown bars in Corel Draw .... Hated them! The absolute last thing I want is rollup toolbars. However if they work for you then so be it. I don't mind if Xara implement them as long as they are not mandatory.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

Understood ... however, Corels UI implimentation (and some tools) tend be done less than effectively. I've been using CDraw on and off since 1.x/2 but not much since Xara 4 was released.
    IP

Jasc first introduced me to Roll-ups - I immediately disabled them.

However this forum is not for lenghty discussions or debates as outlined in the DX sticky.
    IP

Just curious, but what's so bad about tabs?
    IP