Quote Originally Posted by Merlin_AZ View Post
    That looks great!
    But what is the correct sequence?

add thumbnail
    add popup
    add layer
    add link
    Not quite

• Create thumbnail in the mouseoff layer.
    • Create a new layer and give it a name.
    • Select the layer in the layer gallery and add the content to the page (large image and whatever text you want)
    • Hide the layer (press the 'eye' on the right of the layer name)
    • Select the mouseoff layer
    • Select the thumbnail and open the Web Properties dialog (CTRL+SHIFT+W)
    • Select the 'Link' TAB
    • Select the 'Popup layer selection dropdown and choose the layer you created and named
    • Press 'Apply'

Done

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	popuplayers.png 
Views:	139 
Size:	2.6 KB 
ID:	63414

Remember that you need to create a NEW layer for each new thumbnail you create on the mouseoff layer and repeat the steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin_AZ View Post
    Also, how did you create the square "thumbnails?"
    I tried to use the rectangular tool, curve the corners, add background color and shadow it, but it doesn't work.
    Did you add a panel from one of the templates and delete the text on it, unlock the aspect ratio, and make it square?
    No.

*Rectangle Tool [M]
    Hold CTRL as you draw the rectangle, it constrains to a perfect square.

Default Re: Photo popups that include 6 lines of text

Thanks.
    I'll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Use a popup layer. Then you can have anything you like.

Example attached.

Sledger, I am trying to figure out what the Guide layer was for in the .web you attached. I read about Guides in the manual for Xara Web designer, but just not sure what its really good for. And the use of it within your .web file baffled me. Mostly because I do not understand why it is there and if it is necessary. And if it would be necessary for any sites I create or not.
    As I am trying to figure out popup photos for my own site design. And obviously do not get the 'Guide' Layers (or even where they come from, why they are Red within layers.) I understand that they 'May' be used to line objects up, but didn't know they needed to be constant as a layer, as to me it looks like it serves no purpose so far above the sample .web page you created.

And while I am thinking about popups... i may have future questions (already lurking in my brain) that I may ask soon in a new thread).

Thanks in advance for you time.

I understand that they 'May' be used to line objects up
    Eyescream, that's exactly what they're used for. They are on their own layer so that Xtreme knows on export not to include them in the html output. I haven't looked at Steve's web file so I can't say whether he used them in that file or not.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg, thx for responding... so in general they are Only used to help line things up (like a grid but a single line guide). But then are they necessary to stay in a document or .web page or site creation? shouldn't u just delete the Guide layer then to clean things up before going live, since they only are used to line stuff up (visually), and once you've aligned things they aren't needed?
    Cause it seems the few times I've seen them in .web files that others have posted in forums, they always seem to be hanging out above pages or in some random spot in the document.

so shouldn't they be deleted out of the document then after lining your stuff up? Or do people just leave them in the .web doc in case they need to line other stuff up that they add later... and they just take the same guide and scroll it down across all their pages until they reach the page they need to use it on.

Or am I missing something else? Just curious if they are important after used for their intended purpose.

thanks.

The guide layers have nothing to do with web pages or HTML.
    They are only to help you align objects, ad-hoc, when needed, toggled on/off by hitting the numpad '1' while you work.
    They are not used or exported to your site in any way shape or form, they remain only internally in the saved .web or .xar file.

Totally optional in practice but an essential tool imho
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 25 August 2009 at 06:09 AM.

sledger, thx. It probably sounded like a dumb question. But I had no clue so thanks for elaborating, and it makes sense. There are sometimes certain things that are not explained in Xaraweb help manual... (specifically what you just mentioned).

thanks a bunch.
    ~
    Last edited by Eyescream; 25 August 2009 at 11:39 AM.

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

At the risk of confusing things further, you can have shapes on the guides layer as well as lines. These shapes appear as dotted lines (just like the lines on the guide layer) in the outline of the shape. I know that I have used this feature before but I can't rembember for what at the moment.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.